MAME Club side conversations attempt #2.

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

MAME Club side conversations attempt #2.

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The club is our last honorable institution.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Re: TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Post by pinback »

I mean, the ROM is provided every week. That's what you are supposed to play.

I don't understand the confusion.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 pm I mean, the ROM is provided every week. That's what you are supposed to play.

I don't understand the confusion.
New rule! ROM revision number must be given in description for guys like us that play these games on real hardware or already have 10gb+ of MAME ROMs and CHD files!! The only rom I have had to download so far was megazone. The fullset I have for newer mame did not have it.

Also, ICJ proves a point I knew earlier but did not mention. The earlier versions were EASIER! We should not be penalized for playing these versions if we lose anyway.

I'm not being serious (except the easier part) with any of this. This is supposed to be about fun. Like my dad used to say on Christmas morning when we babbled as we opened presents; "Just shut up and have fun."
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

This is supposed to be about fun.
Yeah! Who cares about getting the high scores, this is about fun! This is about discovering games that have been sitting in your rom folder for years. Thisis about friendly trash talk, because we all know K Ice and Pinback will always be at the top of the leaderboard. So let's have fun in the Club and not whine about rom versions, Apple vs Pc, Atari vs Commodore or anything like that

THE
FUN,
GODAMMIT
AARDVARK

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

This week's pick was a success in that it got everybody playing ASTEROIDS! Also, this week's high score competition was a complete debacle, and most likely won't be archived without a lot of asterisks and caveats. I've asked for clarification from the board so until that returns we'll just have to plow forward.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Flack wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:29 amand most likely won't be archived without a lot of asterisks
To save yourself time just put an asterisk next anyone who didn't cheat. You people make me sick.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 pm This is supposed to be about fun.
Yes, it is supposed to be fun for all of us, and when someone is playing with unfair advantages that other players don't know about or are even utilizing themselves then it takes away from the fun of those people playing by the rules. People like myself and pinback.

You say what does it matter anyways if you don't win that week? Well it matters because you are taking higher positions on the leaderboard than you deserve and which likely belong to other participants.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

BOOP!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:04 am
Flack wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:29 amand most likely won't be archived without a lot of asterisks
To save yourself time just put an asterisk next anyone who didn't cheat. You people make me sick.
You were likely THE ONE who I encountered in College who'd make sure that in Beer Pong, the ping pong balls were hitting the proper zone for their bounce, ignoring the fact everyone was playing it to get messed up, socialize and it wasn't like at least one of their girlfriends wouldn't lick the ball later and put it into places moist and unknown to you.

Anyway.. I only have 12 hours to work on the next high score screen, so I need to waste the entire day getting high and then remember to open After Effects at around 8 PMish, then not actually use it till 3 am.

Going to be a busy, busy day!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

I got my score by playing the supplied ROM. I don't understand all the confusion.

pinback

Post by pinback »

If we can decide which version of a game we want to play, why don't we just play whatever we want every week and compare scores? What are we doing here?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

RetroRomper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:41 amYou were likely THE ONE who I encountered in College who'd make sure that in Beer Pong
I have never played beer pong, something I am proud of.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I have never played beer pong, something I am proud of.
I'm sorry, who let you in here?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:14 am
Jizaboz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 pm This is supposed to be about fun.
Yes, it is supposed to be fun for all of us, and when someone is playing with unfair advantages that other players don't know about or are even utilizing themselves then it takes away from the fun of those people playing by the rules. People like myself and pinback.

You say what does it matter anyways if you don't win that week? Well it matters because you are taking higher positions on the leaderboard than you deserve and which likely belong to other participants.
The MAME club would honestly be a lot better without your incessant, childish whining.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:42 pmThe MAME club would honestly be a lot better without your incessant, childish whining.
Yeah, that sounds like something a cheater would say to divert attention.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:55 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:42 pmThe MAME club would honestly be a lot better without your incessant, childish whining.
Yeah, that sounds like something a cheater would say to divert attention.
So, when we had that thread about professional sports and you smugly proclaimed that you don't follow them - there's an effect of that.

None of us care that you don't follow whatever the local team for you is, it's just that hearing such statements cause us all to roll our eyes because inevitably there is going to be a competition about something and people like you and Finsternis haven't learned all the lessons that professional sports teaches a person over the years.

As a result we get the mountains of petulant sniveling and piss-soaked caterwauling you have engaged in during the last few weeks.

You talked shit, got humiliated and instead of accepting the L and moving on, you've engaged in... this. The organizer had to add a rule -- "STOP trying to change the club" -- because of your actions. And now you've reduced yourself to stomping on the floor (belly down, hands balled, tears flowing) about "cheating" when HMMM you're the one guy that didn't post a screenshot last week. Not that any of the rest of us give a shit.

Pathetic.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:00 pm If we can decide which version of a game we want to play, why don't we just play whatever we want every week and compare scores? What are we doing here?
I played the version supplied. Those of us with the real hardware for various games, and there are many, have always had to adopt a sort of quiet tolerance for the rest of you scum and it just came to a head this week. That's all. If we were to split into teams, which of course we won't, it should be those of us that have put in the effort to acquire the real deals against the rest of you morlocks.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

There are rules in sports.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

The MAME Club is mostly for fun and secondarily for finding out where you stand in the pantheon of Jolt Country video game players. You don't get anything for winning. The best example of that is that AArdvark thinks Kid Ice (who I presume is a literal child and would not be able to participate in the boozing aspect of the competition legally) as well as a guy who has yet to win a single week will "always be at the top of the leaderboard" even though I've won as many times as anyone. I don't get no respect! Anyway, there's zero point in cheating. You'd just be cheating yourself really.

For what it's worth, I've always downloaded and played the ROM Flack has supplied each week just to try to be on the same page as everyone else. Presumably, most of us don't have access to the physical arcade machine for even a fraction of the thousands of titles playable through MAME (raise your hand if you own a Mega Zone cabinet) so it's not like we're individually choosing emulation over the real thing. It's just that it's usually the only option, even for the physical game collectors among us. Also, since this is a MAME Club, I thought we were competing to see who is the best at MAME. Physical arcade games, depending on the controls and their individual quirks, can sometimes require a different set of skills than an emulated game played with the input device of your choice. I would certainly expect people who do well on MAME to also excel at the physical games, but that's not an absolute certainty. Of course real arcade games are awesome and the people who own them are all uniquely magnificent bastards. Since the club thread is for discussing the game of the week as well as posting scores, I would say posts related to the physical games absolutely do belong in this thread. Jizaboz was transparent when he posted his score and deserves the top spot in this week's unofficial Tuesday Boozeday Real Hardware Club rankings. He didn't do anything wrong. It wasn't a MAME score that he posted, but he didn't present it as such. Let's cool it on the cheating accusations and let Flack decide which scores make the cut and which don't.