The Moldy Twinkie

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

The Moldy Twinkie

Post by Flack »

Eight years ago when we were told Twinkies were permanently going away, some random guy bought some and put them in his basement. Eight years later he got hungry, went downstairs to get one, and discovered this:

The one on the right looks pretty normal and the one in the middle has a weird spot forming, but that one on the left... oof. The guy ended up sending it to a lab to have it analyzed and the thing has been ravaged and devoured by fungi. If you read the article linked below, the lab determined that there must have been a fungus inside the packaging before it was sealed.

This is really upsetting to me -- not because I personally love Twinkies or have any old ones out in my garage, but through movies like Zombieland and lots of other fiction, I was led to believe that in a post-apocalyptic world, Twinkies would last forever. Seeing that one on the left makes me think I might not even want to survive a nuclear war. If I somehow make it through World War III and survive for years by eating garbage and my neighbors only to finally discover a Hostess truck full of Twinkies and then learn that they are all gross and shriveled up, well, I'm starting World War IV. That's some Twilight Zone level bullshit, right there.

Link: A Disturbing Twinkie That Has So Far Defied Science (NPR)
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Re: The Moldy Twinkie

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:37 pm If I somehow make it through World War III and survive for years by eating garbage and my neighbors only to finally discover a Hostess truck full of Twinkies and then learn that they are all gross and shriveled up, well, I'm starting World War IV. That's some Twilight Zone level bullshit, right there.
No, it's just proof you can't have your cake and eat it too!
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Billy Mays

Re: The Moldy Twinkie

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 amNo, it's just proof you can't have your cake and eat it too!
How long would that middle twinkie last next to your bed before you tried eating it?