Apple IIGS - keep me in mind

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Apple IIGS - keep me in mind

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Inspired by games like this:

And because the MiSTer does not do the Apple IIGS, I think I am going to get one. (And I still need to package my Atari ST for sale.) If you guys come across one, can you keep me in mind?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Re: Apple IIGS - keep me in mind

Post by Jizaboz »

So you found a buyer for the ST? How much is it going for out of curiosity?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have not! But I want to get it ready for shipping first.

Do you want to buy it? You get first dibs. It's the ST and monitor. (And cables.)

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 pm I have not! But I want to get it ready for shipping first.

Do you want to buy it? You get first dibs. It's the ST and monitor. (And cables.)
Despite me saying I should not, I have always really been interested. I'll hit you up on chat tomorrow!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Alright alright. Already picturing the ST sitting on the card table so let’s do this.

No rush at all. We will need to ship the monitor and actual computer separately. We will also need to wrap any heavy items such as the power brick in separate bubble wrap from the rest.

Try not to apply any tape to the keys on the computer. That may or may not be how I lost the tilde key on the C64c Flack sent me along with my excitement opening it.

Both computer and monitor should be wrapped in at least 3 layers of bubble wrap, and the void of the box should be filled on all sides with crunched up paper. Newspaper, stolen printing paper, Victoria’s Secret catalogs, whatever. So long as the package can be thrown, mashed, etc and still be thrown or pushed. I will gladly compensate for shipping materials and pay fees for 2 separate packages. This is basically the same fashion I have got my Vectrex and a few valuable arcade PCBs moved around.. even by usps! Will of course use shipping provider of your choice.

P.S. sorry if I sound anal here but I want this to go down like magic and that box of Neo Geo carts (thanks again!) you sent me just had the carts rattling around in like a square foot of space. Totally cool for indestructible carts but this ST is gonna need a lot of love ❤️
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:07 am Alright alright. Already picturing the ST sitting on the card table so let’s do this.

No rush at all. We will need to ship the monitor and actual computer separately. We will also need to wrap any heavy items such as the power brick in separate bubble wrap from the rest.

Try not to apply any tape to the keys on the computer. That may or may not be how I lost the tilde key on the C64c Flack sent me along with my excitement opening it.

Both computer and monitor should be wrapped in at least 3 layers of bubble wrap, and the void of the box should be filled on all sides with crunched up paper. Newspaper, stolen printing paper, Victoria’s Secret catalogs, whatever. So long as the package can be thrown, mashed, etc and still be thrown or pushed. I will gladly compensate for shipping materials and pay fees for 2 separate packages. This is basically the same fashion I have got my Vectrex and a few valuable arcade PCBs moved around.. even by usps! Will of course use shipping provider of your choice.

P.S. sorry if I sound anal here but I want this to go down like magic and that box of Neo Geo carts (thanks again!) you sent me just had the carts rattling around in like a square foot of space. Totally cool for indestructible carts but this ST is gonna need a lot of love ❤️
The project I am on is complete at work, so I am back to living a normal life - will check in when I get home tonight. We'll get you that ST safe and sound!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I wish you had caught this bug a few years ago when I had two or three IIgs computers I couldn't get rid of. I bought a stack of Apple II computers for $100 at OVGE years ago -- maybe the year before you and 'Vark came down. I got several pizza box Macs, two or three IIgs machines, and a couple of IIe machines. The biggest problem with the IIgs machines was that they didn't have any keyboards, mice, or monitors, and I think monitors are a specific/unique breed. I think those NEC Multisync monitors will work but they are in high demand, too. The IIgs does a 640x200 resolution that a lot of monitors have problems displaying.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

I remember one dude at OKVE just ready to give some Apple stuff away at the end one year. I think maybe when Vark was there!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Thanks for the update ICJ. Again, no rush at all. I’m on the hook for about 200$ for Bosconian PCB repair anyway heh. I won’t flake out on you though. Please add on your fees for all the bubble wrap and newspaper it takes!

On apple ii GS.. honestly the only game that really interested me was Skate or Die. I recall looking at the box at a Sears store in Hanes Mall where they had random software on a shelf in a corner. The first thing that blew my mind from the pictures was the graphics. The half pipe was actually made of wood! I vaguely recall trying to emulate it years back and it ran like dog shit. Should revisit it to see if emulation has improved.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:41 pm I remember one dude at OKVE just ready to give some Apple stuff away at the end one year. I think maybe when Vark was there!
Yeah, he did that three or four years in a row. I don't remember the full story but he got access to an old school warehouse full of old computers.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:15 pm Thanks for the update ICJ. Again, no rush at all. I’m on the hook for about 200$ for Bosconian PCB repair anyway heh. I won’t flake out on you though. Please add on your fees for all the bubble wrap and newspaper it takes!

On apple ii GS.. honestly the only game that really interested me was Skate or Die. I recall looking at the box at a Sears store in Hanes Mall where they had random software on a shelf in a corner. The first thing that blew my mind from the pictures was the graphics. The half pipe was actually made of wood! I vaguely recall trying to emulate it years back and it ran like dog shit. Should revisit it to see if emulation has improved.
99% of IIgs games were released on the Amiga as well. Of course one exception to that was Skate or Die -- the IIgs is the only 16-bit version of that game. The two games I remember playing on the IIgs were Tass Times in Tone Town and Zany Golf, but those were both released on the Amiga as well.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:15 pm Thanks for the update ICJ. Again, no rush at all. I’m on the hook for about 200$ for Bosconian PCB repair anyway heh. I won’t flake out on you though. Please add on your fees for all the bubble wrap and newspaper it takes!

99% of IIgs games were released on the Amiga as well. Of course one exception to that was Skate or Die -- the IIgs is the only 16-bit version of that game. The two games I remember playing on the IIgs were Tass Times in Tone Town and Zany Golf, but those were both released on the Amiga as well.
Yeah man that's wild. That version of Skate or Die is such an enigma. Zany Golf was also a Sega Genesis debut title in the US.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Sorry, saw your post on IRC but we have not been active at the same time - haven't found a box yet. We are supposed to get blasted with 5 feet of snow this weekend but once I can get out I will just buy a proper box to ship the monitor and board in. Apologies for the delay, shipping things is the thing I am worst at.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:00 pm

Sorry, saw your post on IRC but we have not been active at the same time - haven't found a box yet. We are supposed to get blasted with 5 feet of snow this weekend but once I can get out I will just buy a proper box to ship the monitor and board in. Apologies for the delay, shipping things is the thing I am worst at.
Hey no problem man! Take your time getting 2 boxes (monitor and actual computer really should be in separate boxes) and mad bubble wrap. I know it can be hassle to properly ship things. Shipping arcade boards back and forth got me more into the mode of ship these antiques “properly” rather than “quickly” over the past few years!

Also cost-wise 2 boxes may actually make more sense as well as safety. As long is less that 50 bucks plus whatever you had to buy for packing materials for me to reimburse, I’m happy. I’d be happier driving a Cybertruck prototype to Denver to pick it up personally and hang out with you again, but reality and all.

Also, good luck with the snow. Hope it is not apocalyptic.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻