Corned Beef Briskit - Crockpot

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Corned Beef Briskit - Crockpot

Post by Jizaboz »

A few years ago I bought one of these in the package with the seasoning packet and followed the directions on the package. The result tasted pretty good, but was way too tough. This year for St Patrick’s Day I decided to attempt again but with a crockpot and some extra seasoning. They are usually 50% off this time of year so why not?

Ingredients:

- 1 package of corned beef brisket.
- 1 seasoning packet (included).
- 1-2 tablespoons of sugar depending on brisket size.
- 1 tablespoon of any vinegar.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 or 2 dashes of garlic powder
- water or beer (I used water this time)

Instructions:

1. Place brisket in crockpot fat side up.
2. Dump all of the ingredients except water/beer on top.
3. Pour the water or beer on the side away from the brisket into the crockpot but do not cover it. Instead, leave about the top half inch exposed.
4. Put the lid on the crockpot. Set it to LOW. Leave it there for 8-9 hours.
5. Use big tongs or something to remove from pot and place on cutting board. Slice meat thin and against the grain.

Notes:

- You can slightly speed up the process like I did today and put the heat on high for the first 1-2 hours then turn to low to shave an hour or a little more off without affecting it.

- Do not add salt or pepper! The salt is in the meat already and the pepper is in the packet.

- You can add vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and cabbage to the same pot.. or do like I did and just cook the meat and make sandwiches.

- I use my knife to rake the seeds back as I’m slicing. You don’t want to bite down on too much of that!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Re: Corned Beef Briskit - Crockpot

Post by AArdvark »

oh yeah! Thats how we have it every year and it's damn good. It flares up teh gout and I'm still hobbling, but its so worth it. The missus wraps the spices in chesecloth so we dont have to scrape it off the beef before pounding it down. Sometimes I want there to be two Irish holidays

pinback

Post by pinback »

I dunno, man, I do the simmer method every year and it's perfection every time. DJ Larry did the crockpot method this year and said it was overcooked.

All I can think is, SOMEONE HERE IS LYING.

I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Broiled in der oven with brown sugar after the crockpot treatment crisps the exterior to a golden leprechaun color. Just wisht I had another mouth and a couple more forks

THE
MOUTH FEELING
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:32 pm All I can think is, SOMEONE HERE IS LYING.
What is more likely is that I tried to follow the package instructions and just fucked it up. A crock pot on the other hand is idiot-proof.. UNLESS his crockpot was not actually on low. This one turned out melt-in-yr-mouth consistency.

My friend Chris has a crock pot that is more “high tech” than mine that seems to have developed a mind of its own. You set it low, it still runs hot. You set it to off, and the shit stays on! Who knows.

Also, thanks for the tip Vaark!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Did brown sugar rub like Vark but did it pressurized with some Guiness though. Amazing flavor, melts in mouth. I can't think of a reason not to use pressure for a fatty meat like this. Did the potatoes and carrots separately in the oven because i can't have everything taste the same.

1 cup brown sugar
3 lb corned beef
4 pack Guiness draught cans (1 for da beef, 3 for me)
1 onion
1 ginger
1 garlic bunch
Rosemary
Sage
Butter
1/2 cup white wine
Lemon

Wash, dry meat. Score fat side, rub in brown sugar. Place in magic pot with onion, garlic, ginger, some of the seasonings, pickling season pack. 120 min high pressure/heat then 15 min natural release

Chop carrots, potatoes into 3's, place in own pans with butter, minced garlic, herbs. Add some wine to the potato pan. Cover both and bake 1 hour @ 325, take off tops, baste and bake 30 min with top off

Reserve broth from carrots and potato pans in a saucepan. Make a roux by whisking 1 cup flour into 1 cup simmering butter. Lower heat and cook to light brown for a blond roux. Let roux cool while heating saucepan. Whisk in roux then serve over carrots and potatoes.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Corned beef is what you'd eat in order to not starve to death. I don't know why people eat it willingly...

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

We're having it again today. It's been simmering since last night and the house smells wonderful

pinback

Post by pinback »

RealNC wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:31 am Corned beef is what you'd eat in order to not starve to death. I don't know why people eat it willingly...
Okay, now THAT'S the most insane non-Tdarcos post I've ever seen on this BBS. It keeps changing!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Who's hungry!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I feel like RealNC doesn't know what corned beef is, or thinks it's something that it isn't.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm I feel like RealNC doesn't know what corned beef is, or thinks it's something that it isn't.
This is the corned beef I know:

It's puke-horrible.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Well there ya go. Reak corned beef is made from leprechauns

pinback

Post by pinback »

RealNC wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:07 pm
pinback wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm I feel like RealNC doesn't know what corned beef is, or thinks it's something that it isn't.
This is the corned beef I know:

It's puke-horrible.
Well, that's not what we're talking about.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I eat that stuff too lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Wait, there's other kinds of corned beef?

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Canned corned beef is to actual corned beef in the same way that a canned cheeseburger is to an actual cheeseburger.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:30 am Canned corned beef is to actual corned beef in the same way that a canned cheeseburger is to an actual cheeseburger.

Incorrect.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻