My own Japanese touch Arcade machine - Looking for advice

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

My own Japanese touch Arcade machine - Looking for advice

Post by Jizaboz »

Today I acquired the decrypted hard disk image contents of Maimai Finale. I have previously played the real machine a couple of years back a few times.. the slightly older "Milk" (white) version. After about an hour of downloading via Mega (had to get a 1 month sub with BTC since it's over 30 gigs) fiddling with configs and settings, I got it running on my machine!

This opens to door to a much more affordable way to play all of these Japanese "beat" games that have become popular which utilize touch screens or simple controls. Maimai, Beatstream, and many others. I want to make this as close to the arcade experience as possible, so I am thinking about the following:

1. PC w/ keyboard attached
2. Large touch-screen LCD
3. A structure that houses the PC in the bottom and securely holds the LCD in place either vertically or horizontally.

I don't even know good prices on #2. The size range I am thinking of is around 33 inches wide. Too small and input won't feel right. Too big and it's too expensive and will end up with a stretched or cropped image. Needs HDMI input. Ability to rotate is a plus. I expect this to be the most expensive component minus the PC.

On the "structure", I would actually like to try to do this without any wood at first. Basically a metal or plastic "frame" which can secure the monitor on a tabletop for desktop play or be slid into a cabinet if I ever build one.

Open to any and all advice!

I tweeted it earlier, but here is Maimai decrypted running on my machine using keyboard keys for input:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Re: My own Japanese touch Arcade machine - Looking for advice

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:45 pm I am thinking about the following:

I don't even know good prices on #2.
I know how you can get all the #2 you want for free!

As for a touch-screen monitor, you have two choices: very expensive or reasonable but with a little extra work.

On Amazon, a 32" touch-screen monitor is about a thousand bucks and up. Here is one example: VGA and HDMI, $1020.88, while you have this Samsung 1080p Full HD LED-Backlit LCD Flat Panel Display with Touchscreen 32" Black (PM32F-BC/US) for the low-low price of $1799.99 (It could be worse, it could have cost $1800.)

On the other hand, they have this: a touch-screen overlay that goes on a 32" monitor, that sells for $234.50. If you don't already have one, here is an example, a LG 32MN60T-B 32" Class FHD IPS FreeSync Monitor (Renewed) for $179.99, while a new 32" monitor such as this: Ematic 32 Wide Full HD 1920x1080 LED Monitor 1080p 75Hz 6.5ms with HDMI and VGA is $139.99
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Jow does the gameplay work? I was watching but have no idea how it works.

Are you going to build a bartop cabinet?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:09 am
Jizaboz wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:45 pm I am thinking about the following:

I don't even know good prices on #2.
I know how you can get all the #2 you want for free!

As for a touch-screen monitor, you have two choices: very expensive or reasonable but with a little extra work.

On Amazon, a 32" touch-screen monitor is about a thousand bucks and up. Here is one example: VGA and HDMI, $1020.88, while you have this Samsung 1080p Full HD LED-Backlit LCD Flat Panel Display with Touchscreen 32" Black (PM32F-BC/US) for the low-low price of $1799.99 (It could be worse, it could have cost $1800.)

On the other hand, they have this: a touch-screen overlay that goes on a 32" monitor, that sells for $234.50. If you don't already have one, here is an example, a LG 32MN60T-B 32" Class FHD IPS FreeSync Monitor (Renewed) for $179.99, while a new 32" monitor such as this: Ematic 32 Wide Full HD 1920x1080 LED Monitor 1080p 75Hz 6.5ms with HDMI and VGA is $139.99
Overlay is totally not gonna happen, however.. you have confirmed this is a hell of investment! 1000$ for a solid monitor probably to pull this off. Considering real machines I want to do this on cost up to 10k and I still can't buy a fucking PS5 for 500$ just to plan Demon Souls, this could happen soon! Thanks man for taking the time to look into this.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:15 am Jow does the gameplay work? I was watching but have no idea how it works.

Are you going to build a bartop cabinet?
So, basically you use the monitor to make motions in synch with a beat. Maimai is a bit odd to try to explain this so let me show you a video of what started me down this odd kawaii road..

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻