Vegetables in a goddamn pan

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Vegetables in a goddamn pan

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I know now that I gotta take some steps to keep me healthy in the future. The first one was to make vegetables the main thing I eat. I am happy to say that I was able to do this for a couple weeks before my trip to OKC/Arkansas and when I returned I was able to bring it back up again.

This is what I do:

- Coat a pan with some sesame oil. I'm trying to use a little less of it each time. It's tough though. Because every time I twist the cap on the bottle of it I get to say OPEN SESAME.

- I chop up some of the following: broccoli, green beans, snow peas, carrots, mushrooms, a yellow onion, cabbage. I try to have 3 or 4 of those in there. And they are so cheap, man. Men. Soooo cheap. I'm trying to save money to help my mom out, so being able to eat for pennies is nice. I bought some riced cauliflower tonight, so I am going to throw that in tomorrow. But it's nice that there's enough vegetables in the world where it can be a little different each time.

- I put it in a pan, toss it around a bunch and then add spices. There is an Asian 5 spice that I use liberally. I'll throw other stuff on there too - any of the following (but never all): celery salt, paprika, Old Bay, sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder. The spices I like, I guess. I just had a brainwave to try the spice combination that Pinner talked about for the Moroccan dish, so I'll try that tomorrow.

- Sometimes I will throw a little bit of chicken in. I didn't this last week because I didn't have any. I'm OK with a little bit of that in this thing. If I'm 90% vegetables going forward, I can live with that.

After a few minutes, it's ready. If we have other kinds of sauce around I'll throw that on top of it, but if we don't I will either add some soy sauce or just nothing and let the spices shine.

So that's been my lunch for most of the last month when I have been at home and been my breakfast and dinner some days too. For the pandemic, sometimes I eat breakfast at like 6:30AM and sometimes I eat breakfast/lunch at 10:00 or 10:30AM, I dunno. It changes.

But really, I just want to create some positive change in my life and this was the easiest first thing.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Re: Vegetables in a goddamn pan

Post by pinback »

This is great! I want to start doing this, though I will say, some of the vegetables you listed are not particularly cheap 'round these parts. But, you know, cheaper than Chipotle burritos, so I guess it's all relative. QUESTIONS:

1. When you say "other kinds of sauce" -- that is, other than soy sauce, can you give a few examples?

2. Are any of the other kinds of sauce, potentially... HOT SAUCE!??!?!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hot sauce will be incorporated!

So, the kind of sauce I'd been using relates to a Thai place we like to get supper from. They will load you the EFF UP on the sauce, so there's extra. So it gets poured in to this veggie abomination the next day. Ditto with an Indian place we like and there's even more sauce for that Indian place we don't like

pinback

Post by pinback »

I could go for some vegetables in a goddamn pan.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Cool, you already know the sesame oil trick! It is essential to authentic stir fry as well.

Another tip is if you are also adding protein like beef or chicken, fry that up til almost done first. Then remove and set the meat aside to drain the juice that comes off that did not evaporate and add a tad more oil, and put wok back on heat. Add veggies, cook til almost done, add meat to middle. Finish off by stirring all contents around. Rookies skip this and also throw a lot of soy sauce onto things while cooking. No one wants a wet stir fry!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:52 pm I could go for some vegetables in a goddamn pan.
It has improved my life immensely.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Are the vegetables as good in non-blasphemous cookware, or is it a requirement that they be prepared in a "satanic saucepan™"?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey

I have had this every day for lunch for a week. Like Flack's wife said - vegetables are not a weight loss plan. Christ.

(But delicious.)

pinback

Post by pinback »

Whaddya mean they're not a weight-loss plan? How can the pounds not be MELTING AWAY?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Stir fried zucchini is probably my favorite vegetable in a goddamn pan dish. With olive oil, of course. Sesame oil is for pussies.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02 am Stir fried zucchini is probably my favorite vegetable in a goddamn pan dish. With olive oil, of course. Sesame oil is for pussies.
Sesame oil is for Asians you wasis!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I've managed to stick with this longer than most stuff I stick with. I did not have it TODAY which is the first workday since I returned. Instead I got a sub at the place down the street. Weight's trending downwards, I ran some hills yesterday and the day before and was going to do it today if we did not get another freaking food of wet snow.

I am happy eating a pan of vegetables. It's different each time depending on what is around, it's filling and I don't see how my cholesterol won't go down if I keep doing this for half a year. It has to. It pretty much has to.

Molly Muffsweet

Post by Molly Muffsweet »

Tdarcos wrote: Are the vegetables as good in non-blasphemous cookware, or is it a requirement that they be prepared in a "satanic saucepan™"?
Someday that SECOND JOKE will come to you, and then you'll show everyone!

Only the Sweetest,

Molly Muffsweet.