It's On Like Donkey Kong

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's On Like Donkey Kong

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Today I picked up a red Donkey Kong. This was one that was in a Kong Off (the Kong Off 3, I think). The red version is rarer than the blue ones, although I do like the shade of blue for those.

the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Re: It's On Like Donkey Kong

Post by AArdvark »

Looks like really good condition, is there any work that it needs?

Ice Cream Jonsey

The deal with that one is that the "unrestored reds" are supposed to have some magic about them. So while the control panel isn't minty, I don't think I am gonna change it.

I didn't get any back locks for it, so I probably need to pick the back door lock and put a lock there. One thing I learned about arcade games is that you always need 7 more locks than you have. Even when you put locks on every single game if you do nothing but wait and look again you're back to needing 7.

The DK has a credit switch but I may hook up that unused onecircuit.com device I put into Elevator Action into this DK so it can start with the 1P button. If it's a two board DK (I can't quite tell yet) then I will probably get the high score save kit for it.

Flack

Post by Flack »

That looks absolutely fantastic. That may be my favorite cabinet of yours that you own. I realize you intentionally photographed it the way you did, but I'd like to think that machine is simply glowing, causing all of the other machines in your garage to retreat into the shadows.

I wouldn't change the control panel. I'd find a picture of the red machines from the Kong Off 3, put it in a frame, and set it on top of the machine. If it were mine I'd lie and say it was the machine Billy Mitchell or Steve Wiebe played. Charge people a dollar to sniff the sweat.

The first arcade game I ever played in my life was a red Donkey Kong machine at Shotgun Sam's, a locally owned pizza chain. I remember it like it was yesterday. Then again if you played the machine yesterday you could say "I remember it like it was yesterday" and then go "because it was yesterday ha ha!" I've fully embraced dad jokes at this point in my life. It's great.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yes it is a nice-looking machine! The "Cinema Pub" in Winson-Salem had an original red one on one side of the lobby with Budweiser neon signs and a mounted moose head near it in the 1980s and I thought that area looked glorious. I played that one a few times, played a DK at a large arcade at Long Beach NC for a couple years off and on, but honestly I played the NES port the most. Still not very good at it! Probably better at Popeye these days because I play it a lot more often.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:28 am Yes it is a nice-looking machine! The "Cinema Pub" in Winson-Salem had an original red one on one side of the lobby with Budweiser neon signs and a mounted moose head near it in the 1980s and I thought that area looked glorious. I played that one a few times, played a DK at a large arcade at Long Beach NC for a couple years off and on, but honestly I played the NES port the most. Still not very good at it! Probably better at Popeye these days because I play it a lot more often.
I also suck at it but I went ahead and ordered the Braze high score kit. If I have something to shoot for, the game is just so darn difficult that I think I will stick with it if I can see a target.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:05 am That looks absolutely fantastic. That may be my favorite cabinet of yours that you own. I realize you intentionally photographed it the way you did, but I'd like to think that machine is simply glowing, causing all of the other machines in your garage to retreat into the shadows.
Yes! I demanded that the rest of them crawl! Crawl like the roaches they are!!
I wouldn't change the control panel. I'd find a picture of the red machines from the Kong Off 3, put it in a frame, and set it on top of the machine. If it were mine I'd lie and say it was the machine Billy Mitchell or Steve Wiebe played. Charge people a dollar to sniff the sweat.
Jamshid signed the inside and mentioned how it was a Kong Off machine.
The first arcade game I ever played in my life was a red Donkey Kong machine at Shotgun Sam's, a locally owned pizza chain. I remember it like it was yesterday. Then again if you played the machine yesterday you could say "I remember it like it was yesterday" and then go "because it was yesterday ha ha!" I've fully embraced dad jokes at this point in my life. It's great.
My first Donkey Kong memory is from Sullivan's Char Broil in Rochester. Could not have been that long after it was created and it blows my mind that at a stretch of time in the 80s just about every place had an arcade game. I don't have memories of actually playing that one in 1983 or whatever, but I must have. I did recall for a long time the scenes where Donkey Kong is asking how high you can get. I could not get very far! I got to the first elevator stage last night.

Also I don't know what it is but the tactile feel of the particular DK joystick is perfect for the game itself.

Flack

Post by Flack »

According to my records, my best Donkey Kong score was 112,600, scored on my 60-in-1 cabinet. Right now I average 50-60k on a good game.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

I installed the Braze Kit into mine. It now will save the top 5 scores, offers a free play mode and will produce the attract sounds 12% of the time, which I wish all games offered.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:51 pm I installed the Braze Kit into mine. It now will save the top 5 scores, offers a free play mode and will produce the attract sounds 12% of the time, which I wish all games offered.
Wow that kit looks SUPER easy to install compared to the Pac-Man HSS kit! Glad you are enjoying the game.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

I think I fried my Braze kit.