you all have Thanksgiving Dinners to attend?

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

loafergirl

you all have Thanksgiving Dinners to attend?

Post by loafergirl »

See subject.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

pinback

Re: you all have Thanksgiving Dinners to attend?

Post by pinback »

Yes.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

No and I am not sure what I am going to do. I'm going to miss the turkey and the pumpkin pie and the stuffing.

Actually, well. I'm not huge on the bread part of the stuffing. Or the celery. Don't care much for the onions. Or really the sausage and apple chunks... but it's the other things that go along with it that I'll really miss.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I love stuffing. As we would have it, it was usually just pre-seasoned bread put in the cavity, i.e. Stove Top Stuffing shoved up a turkey's asshole.

I love the jellied cranberry sauce. A sitcom I don't remember the name of, had an old man (probably my age now) saying how "it woyldn't be Thanksgiving if I didn't hear the wush of jellied cranberry sauce coming out of the can." I suspect 90% of Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce is sold during the period from Halloween to New Years Day.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

I, too, fucking love stuffing. Too carby for regular eating, but man, give me piles of the stuff on Thanksgiving. Stove Top, homemade, whatever. Just don't put bullshit in it like fucking clams. Ew. Bread, butter, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme. Yum!
128 char limit on sigs? Srsly? SO lame.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 pm No and I am not sure what I am going to do. I'm going to miss the turkey and the pumpkin pie and the stuffing.
It's probably too late for an inexpensive airline ticket, but we've always got room. This will be the 12th year in a row that the day before Thanksgiving I will post an open invitation on Facebook for anyone who is alone or has no Thanksgiving plans to join us. My wife freaks out every year because she is afraid one of these years hundreds of people will take me up on my offer. (I think the most people that have ever taken my up on my offer was five.) I always counter with the fact that not once have we ever run out of food around here on Thanksgiving. Besides, I would rather run out of pie than know one of my friends is sitting home alone on Thanksgiving.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Flack

Post by Flack »

odyssia76 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:04 am I, too, fucking love stuffing. Too carby for regular eating, but man, give me piles of the stuff on Thanksgiving. Stove Top, homemade, whatever. Just don't put bullshit in it like fucking clams. Ew. Bread, butter, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme. Yum!
Straight from the Simon & Garfunkel Thanksgiving Recipes book!
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

odyssia76 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:04 am I, too, fucking love stuffing. Too carby for regular eating, but man, give me piles of the stuff on Thanksgiving. Stove Top, homemade, whatever. Just don't put bullshit in it like fucking clams. Ew. Bread, butter, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme. Yum!
What about GIBLETS? What's your GIBLET STANCE?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

pinback wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 am What about GIBLETS? What's your GIBLET STANCE?
I'm aware that they are in traditional stuffing. On the one hand, the thought nauseates me and I'd rather not have them. On the other hand, if done right, you don't really notice. If you're gonna have meat, I would prefer sausage. But what's
in sausage? Pig giblets. So, yeah. There are a number of foods I like to eat - or at least, DO eat - that have ingredients in them I can't think about while eating them. I mean, head cheese may be delicious but I'll never know.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

pinback wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 am What about GIBLETS? What's your GIBLET STANCE?
How can you possibly make the gravy without giblets and the neck?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:20 pm
I generally only use the neck if using the inner parts. BTW CO.. what is your method for removing the neck meat? I boil mine for a bit and after letting it cool I attack it with a fork and my fingers. Totally open to new ideas without Googling.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:42 am
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 pm No and I am not sure what I am going to do. I'm going to miss the turkey and the pumpkin pie and the stuffing.
It's probably too late for an inexpensive airline ticket, but we've always got room. This will be the 12th year in a row that the day before Thanksgiving I will post an open invitation on Facebook for anyone who is alone or has no Thanksgiving plans to join us. My wife freaks out every year because she is afraid one of these years hundreds of people will take me up on my offer.
Flack is true to his word. I recall this offer way back when I was getting divorced and he barely knew me, much less met me. He also offered me a place to stay if my place got wiped out by a hurricane. While I never had to take him up on this offer, I'll never forget it.. and I'm pretty sure I'm in the boat of "Who's coming over? Jiz? Ok he's cool." with Flack's wife. I'll even make sure I crawl down the stairs instead of walk at night so that I don't fall down them (heh-heh)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Casual Observer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:20 pm
I generally only use the neck if using the inner parts. BTW CO.. what is your method for removing the neck meat? I boil mine for a bit and after letting it cool I attack it with a fork and my fingers. Totally open to new ideas without Googling.
NO, that's EXACTLY what the fuck you do with it. Boil it along with the giblets in the broth that will become your gravy then take out the neck and do what you say, flake off the good meat, throw on a pinch of sea salt and - best pre-turkey app ever. We're on the same fucking page, Jizz! Same fucking page.

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl »

3 cheers to Flack for opening his doors, second chance Thanksgiving is Saturday here.

Giblets are boiled and fed to pets, you use a can of chicken stock to baste the bird, and then you have PLENTY of broth to make gravy with.

Canned cranberry jelly is the BEST. I did actual fancy cranberry sauce a couple of times... I prefer the stuff straight from the can. =)

Stuffing, UM YEAH. The stuff cooked with the bird, AND another NOT cooked with the bird. Celery, maybe, adding walnuts or pecans, some craisins and fresh mushrooms bring out some good flavor.

Jonsey... whaaaat? That's not allowed. I expect a tentative plan outlined and submitted for review by JCers by tomorrow.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

We're all going over to my brother's place. We will be having chocolate martinis and hijinx. We did it tho years ago and had the best Thanksgiving EVER!

Stay tuned for details

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

loafergirl wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:16 pm Canned cranberry jelly is the BEST. I did actual fancy cranberry sauce a couple of times... I prefer the stuff straight from the can. =)
I agree. It doesn't cost much either just to buy a can of it even yr like me and the only one eating it.

I've cooked every holiday meal every year since my mom's health started failing, but my sister decided to also cook this year as well. Like the method her and her BF are trying (grilling), actual dinner time will is unpredictable this time around. Either way.. the 25 pound Butterball is already thawing and I will cook it even if it's just me and my GF eating it.

I typically only stuff the turkey with onions, celery, and apples. Then I add about half a can of chicken broth to the cooking bag. For the breaded stuffing, I use a bag of herb dressing and make it to the recipe on the bag, add an egg to it, add a bit of the turkey juices, add meat (usually combo of turkey neck meat and something else. Something else used to use canned oysters.. GF got me into using bits of breakfast sausage links instead which for some reason is a mega hit with most people) and then bake it in a casserole dish in the oven about 20 minutes.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

We are filling the bird with Cadbury eggs.

Tomorrow I am making cookies so I don't leech.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

odyssia76

Post by odyssia76 »

I was planning to go to my brother's place for a family holiday but just found out he got the 'VID so everything is cancelled. Yes, he was vaccinated. So there won't be a fancy meal here but you can do pretty well with a ham from the store, a can of cranberry jelly, a pie, a can of green beans, and pre-made stuffing mix. Lots and lots of stuffing mix. Maybe some garlic bread too while I'm blowing my ketosis out the window anyways.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Having the best time ever!

Details to follow

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

All the guys went out to the barn to oogle tractors. The women are jacked on chocolate martinis