Spellcasting 101

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Spellcasting 101

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

So, I decided to play through this game in "finish mode." Meaning, I have a walkthrough nearby and I refuse to allow myself to get stuck. This probably won't work because S101 has this awesome "go to class or don't go to class" section in the beginning which single-handedly destroys the concept of the walkthrough. Meretzky was well ahead of his time. But I have played through this already, so it's fine.

I have also purchased this game many different times. As a result, I have two copies of the manual that have survived to this day.

I got to the section where I had to register for class, and that section is the copy protection. I did not have the manual on me -- it was in this large box that I use to store computer manuals. But at the same time, I felt I could guess the answers to the questions.

... I got one of them wrong and the game booted me. It did say, instead of trying to get into Spellcasting U, that I should try to get into Pirate U. Hadn't seen that one before, heh.

Anyway, I found the specific manual I need, as well as the Operation: Flashpoint manual which I thought I lost. That booklet is notable because they stupidly put the CD key there, instead of the jewel case like almost every other game. Regardless, I can now install that game, which was a birthday gift from my brother years ago.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Update! I broke my Model M keyboard earlier (just the left shift key) and I am now on the worst keyboard on the planet. It has a "Power Off" button.

Well, wouldn't you know it, Frobozz jumped on the desk last night and pressed that button. That did it for my DOSbox instance of S101. I hope I saved recently.

... Who the fuck puts "Power off" on their keyboard. How lazy do you have to be. How can ANY GOOD come out of this, unless you are a slave to your cats.

I guess I have to buy a new Model M.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Here is an article about Spellcasting 101.
http://www.filfre.net/2017/01/the-spell ... eaglebeak/

And here is Roody Yogurt's review from a year ago.
http://www.caltrops.com/2013/05/22/spel ... review-pc/

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:... Who the fuck puts "Power off" on their keyboard.
Apple Computer. Macintoshes have a shut off key on the keyboard. Next time someone says everything Apple creates is great, point that out to them.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:... Who the fuck puts "Power off" on their keyboard.
Apple Computer. Macintoshes have a shut off key on the keyboard. Next time someone says everything Apple creates is great, point that out to them.
I'm glad you mentioned this. Robb had been waiting a full ten years for an answer.

There ya go, Robb. Better late than never.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

So, two days after he insulted me, he's back replying to my posts like nothing happened.

Paul, I get that you need this place because the social interaction is important to you.

I want you to show, once in your goddamn life, some APPRECIATION FOR IT.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:So, two days after he insulted me, he's back replying to my posts like nothing happened.

Paul, I get that you need this place because the social interaction is important to you.

I want you to show, once in your goddamn life, some APPRECIATION FOR IT.
Short Reply: What I said was in anger because I thought I was going to be unfairly punished. I didn't say anything such as contrition because I didn't think I'd be believed just as I did not believe Pinback when he said I was funny. To the extent it can be accepted, I'm sorry I blew my stack and I'm thankful I've been given the opportunity to show I could follow the rules.

But I would like feedback on whether I'm correct on how I'm doing. (See the full form of this message.)

Full Article: http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=90538
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You're at your best when you are NOT trying to be funny. That's what made that pizza eating video so great.

I can only hope you eat the rest of the pizza, or one of it's cousins, while explaining in detail about the clocks on all your living space surfaces.

THE
SALVATORE DALI
OF PIZZA
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:You're at your best when you are NOT trying to be funny. That's what made that pizza eating video so great.

I can only hope you eat the rest of the pizza, or one of it's cousins, while explaining in detail about the clocks on all your living space surfaces.
Ate the rest of the pizza the next day.

Am having problem with my main computer as it goes into freeze up after about 20 minutes of operation. Can't figure out why and everything I try provides no help.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Another thing that includes a power-off button: My new eSource 125-key multimedia keyboard I got for $10 from Big Lots to replace a plain $3.95 keyboard from Inland that had three missing keys. While I was using it I brush-passed the "Power" button, causing windows to inform me it was shutting down. In about 45 seconds it was off.

Fortunately I lost nothing but I decided to nip this impudent behavior in the bud.

Control Panel -> Power Options -> (On whichever power plan you have selected, click on) Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings

In the new window that opens, scroll down to Power Buttons and Lid, click the plus on the left. Do the same for Power Button Action and Sleep Button Action. Click on the value to the right of Setting, it will turn into a combo box. Click on the drop-down arrow on the right, select Do Nothing for both, then click the OK button at the bottom of the window and once you do, the power and sleep keys are dead.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, this thread WAS about Spellcasting 101. If we were still counting the number of threads Paul ruined, NOTCH UP ANOTHER ONE.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm going to count this one in that thread so we can track it. But like I said, I understand that Paul needs this place. There's more going on here than a guy posting poorly.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I would like a new thread in which Paul lists everything in the universe with a power off button on it.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Short Response: I thought Flack was kidding about you waiting 10 years for an answer, and didn't notice until after I posted the instructions on how to disable the power and sleep keys that the previous message was from 2007.

If you want you can delete that message from this thread as it is repeated at the link below.

Full Article: www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=90576

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:Short Response: I thought Flack was kidding about you waiting 10 years for an answer
I'm the one who said that, not Flack.

You have made a mess of this entire thing. Do you see that?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:You have made a mess of this entire thing. Do you see that?
You've been doing that much worse and far longer than I have. Has never bothered you, stopped you, nor slowed you down.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Spellcasting 101

This is our Spellcasting 101 thread. I see that Roody's review - https://www.caltrops.com/2013/05/22/spe ... review-pc/ - had images that were hotlinked onto Gernyar's abode, which doesn't exist any more. I shall try to take proper screenshots as I play through it.

I've sort of paused on doing IF development right now. I just can't get into it, I am lost. I will say that I spent 90 minutes playing Ultima 7 and S101 tonight and I feel truly calm. There is a calmness that has come over me.

My attempt at taking screenshots in S101 through Steam failed miserably, by the way. :(

Jizaboz

Re: Spellcasting 101

Post by Jizaboz »

Sometimes you need it.

For screenshots I would just print screen and paste to ms paint when things get stupid.

Good luck at SU! Miss one fucking class and it could bite you..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻