Post by Base Monitor »

n/t

Lex

Post by Lex »

Fuck off.
WHOOA!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hey! this is the FIRST base I check out when I log on here.

OK maybe I don't offer much in the way of content, but don't declare this base dead!

Hell, I heard just the other day...lemme cut and paste a minnit...
History of the game

Pac-Man was first introduced to the arcades at the end of 1980. The voracious little critter caught the hearts and imaginations of the public like no other game and is the hallmark of the golden age of video games.

A place in video game history

"Pac-Man is the most universally known arcade game," said Chris Lindsey, director of the National Video Game and Coin-Op Museum in St. Louis. "Everybody knows about Pac-Man. And, I've noticed, most everybody can play Pac-Man pretty well. Pac-Man makes just about the best use of the joystick one can imagine. It's so intuitive that it puts other games to shame in terms of how easy it is for a person to walk up, stick a quarter in the machine, and start doing something meaningful. At the time, Pac-Man introduced a completely unique style of game play and was also highly identifiable in terms of its music. With Pac-Man, everything was there. The video game industry needs another game that captures the public's heart like Pac-Man, and so far, no one has been able to come up with it."

The great 25-cent escape

"People expect to see Pac-Man when they come into the museum, and without fail, when they see it, they want to play it," Lindsey said. "People remember spending hours and hours at Pac-Man. They like to see how good they are now when they play it. And I would say that, perhaps more than any other game, the same playing skills still apply. Perhaps it's because of the intuitive game play. You don't have to memorize the behavior of a wide array of enemies as you do with some other games. You just have to remember that when the ghosts turn blue, you only have seconds, until they start seriously blinking, to go and get them. And Pac-Man is a little bit looser in its style of game play -- more open. For instance, you can kill time in the lower left hand corner until you see an opening between the ghosts, and you can strategize a bit more: You can play with the tunnels, you can play with the position of the ghosts in relation to the energizers. Even people who haven't played in years remember those strategies."

After all these years, the challenge of Pac-Man still remains.

"You can also get into some really fun jams, when you've got a ghost on your tail and you have to make a decision about whether you're going to go left, or right, or straight at the next junction, which is in .03 seconds," Lindsey said. "It gets to be pretty tense, especially when those ghosts start moving really fast and the energizers aren't lasting as long. Pac-Man can be a real heart-thumping game."

Namco notes

Ever wonder why Pac-Man is yellow and round, or how he got his name?
Namco engineers report that Pac-Man was inspired by the idea of an animated pizza pie who runs around and eats things, instead of being eaten. Hence, the round, yellow character, with a slicelike mouth, that is always chomping. Namco also reports that Pac-Man's name emerged from the Japanese word for eating, "paku-paku."

there, NOT dead...

THE
LAZARUS
AARDVARK