Robotron, Joust, Defender and others

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

Re: Robotron, Joust, Defender and others

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:20 pm This monitor went out again. I'd rather get run over by a green space hulk than fix a transistor, so off to make some calls.
Dude I can do k7000 all day. Tell me what you got going on. If you want someone else to work on it, ship the chassis and neckboard to me. I love working on WG anything and k7000 is the easiest for me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You have written words that have given me hope, my friend. I am choked with emotion.

I figure it's one of three things, the fuse, the HOT or the flyback. I have an order in for a transistor and flyback. That should arrive this week.

There's two techs I wrote last night before I saw your generous message. If I strike out with them could I take you up on your offer and send the chassis and new parts? And I will pay you more then they ask, whatever it takes to make it worth your while. This is the kindest message I have seen on forever and you have restored my faith in humanity. Thank you so so much.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

In a perfect world, Jiz would become the defacto national monitor tech. I honestly think a guy could make a decent living doing nothing but monitor repairs. There's a need for it.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Sure of course! Not just blowing smoke up yr ass and totally willing to help if you need it.

And yeah Flack if I am ever let go and can’t find IT work that is a venture I would try!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack is on to something - one tech who has come out a bunch of times put me on his calendar 5 weeks ago and it seems to me he has as much work as he wants out here.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jiz have you ever used a test pattern generator?

Part of me wants to just get good at monitors and fix this shit. Then I'm beholden to no one. I have the money for decent equipment - for instance I can get a probe to discharge the monitors instead of clips and wires. I can buy a test pattern generator, etc. A solder sucker.

But that's a bit off. First tech didn't write me back, going to write the second one again after the HOT and flyback show up. If I strike out there I'd love to send the chassis your way, Jiz.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:57 pm Jiz have you ever used a test pattern generator?

Part of me wants to just get good at monitors and fix this shit. Then I'm beholden to no one. I have the money for decent equipment - for instance I can get a probe to discharge the monitors instead of clips and wires. I can buy a test pattern generator, etc. A solder sucker.

But that's a bit off. First tech didn't write me back, going to write the second one again after the HOT and flyback show up. If I strike out there I'd love to send the chassis your way, Jiz.
I wish I did have a pattern generator PCB but I do not. They are pretty easy to buy though I think. I've always just used a game to adjust things.

If you do want to get into this, I strongly recommend ALL of the following for de-soldering:

- A Hanko brand plunger-type sucker (fairly cheap)
- A degaussing STATION. I am so happy with mine and I didn't even get an expensive Hakko one like all the other KLOV people rant on and on about. "X-TRONIC 9010-PRO" model. I recommend that brand. They run between 80-110$ and you won't regret getting it.
- A spool of copper de-solder wick. You will barely use it but SOMETIMES you have a little cleanup to do and it's handy for that.

But yeah man, keep me updated! Good luck to you if you attempt it and if you don't I'm happy to help either way.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

The tech was able to remove the chassis from the large Wells, I gave him the HOT and flyback I bought, he's also gonna cap it. I think I am also going to start a spreadsheet with repair info for all the games so I can remember things.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:43 am The tech was able to remove the chassis from the large Wells, I gave him the HOT and flyback I bought, he's also gonna cap it. I think I am also going to start a spreadsheet with repair info for all the games so I can remember things.
Once you start working on this stuff yourself you will never need to write anything down because you will be obsessing so much over it you'll be doing it in your sleep! haha
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Annnnnnnnnd fixed!