Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

lethargic

Post by lethargic »

Pinback - 4
ICJ - 0

This is a slobberknocker!

Flack

Post by Flack »

I hope you two never get shot by an Infanto Ray and you require saving.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I want to break my dick off in the bodies of the DOUBTERS.

Anyway, this is months away.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Future Arcade Games

I think I can do Space Ace on the Raspberry Pi arcade thing that Jiz and I got. Dragon's Lair is on there, so I assume Space Ace is.

I sold my Centipede and I regret it weekly. That was a mistake.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I just saw a Centipede for sale on Craigslist. The ad said "100% working. Near mint! You will not find a nicer one!" Two sentences later it said that the monitor had experienced horizontal collapse and would need a cap kit.

Arcade collectors have a funny definition of "100% working," among other things.

Also I played Space Ace recently, and couldn't get as far as I can in Dragon's Lair. And in Dragon's Lair, I get killed in the second room.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Yup, Space Ace is in the Jamma Pi setup. I can play it OK I guess but probably because I used to play the crappy DOS version.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 am I just saw a Centipede for sale on Craigslist. The ad said "100% working. Near mint! You will not find a nicer one!" Two sentences later it said that the monitor had experienced horizontal collapse and would need a cap kit.

Arcade collectors have a funny definition of "100% working," among other things.

Also I played Space Ace recently, and couldn't get as far as I can in Dragon's Lair. And in Dragon's Lair, I get killed in the second room.
I haven't been checking craigslist's arcade games for sale much (maybe once a week where it used to be multiple times per day) because I have shifted the fuckaround money to photography, but there has definitely been fewer games listed on it. I don't know where Colorado people list their games for sale.

This $1800 Sinistar is one of the few interesting pieces put up recently: https://denver.craigslist.org/for/d/sin ... 68663.html

There is a $650-requested Time Pilot that I would have grabbed if I had space and a $800 Centipede that SEEMED ok that was up for a long while. There's nothing I want to get rid of though so I am just a lurker. The $800 Centipede was complete except it was missing the trackball and everything around the trackball. (Kidding, in this case it was complete.)

There are a lot of fake arcade games up in denver craigslist, that much is true.

Flack

Post by Flack »

A few years I predicted that the price of 60-in-1 machines would rise while older dedicated machines would drop in price. I was half right; the price of both are higher than ever. (I guess they call that inflation.) I just saw a local 60-in-1 machine go for $1,200, and a Tron machine (that needed some minor cosmetic work) go for $2,000.

Ice Cream Jonsey

There is a gentleman out here that makes amazing-looking Centipede, Ms. Pac and Galaga 60-in-1 machines with LED machines. If I were able to shape reality to what I wanted, I would ask this man to sell me a Centipede just with a CRT and Centipede board. OK, onto a Mr. Do! thread!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I've already become one of "those guys" that scoffs any time I see an LCD in an old arcade game. A barcade near me had a Neo Geo MVS.. with an LCD in it. I pointed at it and jeered like a school bully picking on someone for wearing Converse instead of Vision Street Wear.

However, some games I think it's entirely acceptable to have an LCD monitor. Things like Tekken, racing games like Daytona USA or Rush the Rock, etc.

While everything is going up in value arcade-wise, I think cocktail machines are at a weird phase now. You see souped-up new looking cocktails with LCDs and multi-boards selling for 1000$ or more, while you can still pick up an original cocktail like say a Pac-Man or Popeye in good, working condition for around 700$
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Also, my dream of one day owning a Fun House machine dwindles more every day as anything pinball related these days has reached INSANE price ranges.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 am I've already become one of "those guys" that scoffs any time I see an LCD in an old arcade game. A barcade near me had a Neo Geo MVS.. with an LCD in it. I pointed at it and jeered like a school bully picking on someone for wearing Converse instead of Vision Street Wear.
Here is what I don't get. I don't notice "poor blacks" at all in the modern day monitors I have. Why are they so shitty for arcade games? Something is going on that I don't understand.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 am Also, my dream of one day owning a Fun House machine dwindles more every day as anything pinball related these days has reached INSANE price ranges.
I still wish I could find someone locally who had built one of those LCD/emulated pinball machines who would let me come play on it for an hour or two. They look great in the videos I've watched online, but pinball is such a tactile game and I wonder just how well some of those classic tables translate into a 2D experience.

Depending on multiple factors (the game the era, the monitor style and the controls) you give up anywhere from a little to a lot when playing emulated arcade games. It seems that with emulated pinball, you would be giving up almost everything.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 amI don't notice "poor blacks" at all in the modern day
Wait 'til your trip to Atlanta.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Pinback of the clan Pinback, ladies and gentlemen. Pinback.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 am I've already become one of "those guys" that scoffs any time I see an LCD in an old arcade game. A barcade near me had a Neo Geo MVS.. with an LCD in it. I pointed at it and jeered like a school bully picking on someone for wearing Converse instead of Vision Street Wear.
Here is what I don't get. I don't notice "poor blacks" at all in the modern day monitors I have. Why are they so shitty for arcade games? Something is going on that I don't understand.
They do have poor contrast. We just got used to that and the black levels seem normal to us. Unless you use an LCD monitor with a VA panel. Those have good contrast and black levels.

The worst part however is blur. LCDs are sample-and-hold with 17ms of image persistence (60Hz), while CRTs use a rolling scan with ~1ms image persistence. The result is that motion on an LCD looks blurry as fuck, while on CRTs it's crystal clear. This issue is being solved on LCDs though higher refresh rates and backlight strobing for playing PC games, but this doesn't apply to 60Hz arcade machines.