Ben's Southern Kitchen

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Ben's Southern Kitchen

Post by pinback »

In this thread, I will share my favorite "recipes from the south", now that I live there. One thing about the south: Everyone's real dumb, but the food is otherworldly.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

BEN'S SOUTHERN KITCHEN PRESENTS: CHEESY POBLANO GRITS

Did I get cheeky and throw in the "poblano" part as a little nod to the great Southwest? Sure, and you'll be happy I did!

INGREDIENTS
=========
2 cups water
3/4 cup quick-cook grits
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 poblano chiles
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS
========
1. Place poblanos under a broiler, or on a grill until charred and blistered on all sides. Place charred poblanos in a closed plastic or paper bag to steam for ten minutes. Remove poblanos from bag, remove the skin and the seeds, then chop 'em up.

2. Boil the water. Once boiling, add grits and salt, stir, reduce heat and cover until grits are relatively thick.

3. Add cheese, butter, and chopped poblanos to grits. Stir until everything's all melted together.

That's it. Top with shrimp or andouille or anything else, or nothing.

pinback

Post by pinback »

BEN'S SOUTHERN KITCHEN PRESENTS: PINTO BEANS

I had never heard of "southern-style pinto beans" until I had it as a side at a BBQ joint a couple days ago. They were the best things ever, so I immediately went home to find a recipe. I did. It is the best thing ever.

INGREDIENTS
=========
1 pound dried pinto beans
6 ounces salt pork or fatback (pork fat), rough dice
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp bacon grease (optional)
Salt/pepper

DIRECTIONS
========
1. Soak beans overnight in a bunch of water.

2. Rinse and drain beans, place into pot with 8 cups of water, onion, cayenne, and salt pork/pork fat.

3. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, simmer 1.5-2 hours, until it's thickened and creamy. You still want it a little saucy, but not watery.

4. Add bacon grease (optional), salt and pepper to taste.

You will not be able to stop shoveling these goddamn beans into your gaping gullet.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It would be so cool for Don Rogers to do a cooking segment. Wouldn't even need to do any actual cooking. Just describing it would be enough.

THE
SXSW RADIO
AARDVARK

RetroR

Post by RetroR »

Man, I'm buying a pressure cooker just so I can make Hapticanimal's "Picnic Beans" on demand: beans with onions, bacon, salt and various other seasonings sounds awesome right now especially after discovering that every Taqueria* in the world uses bland, tasteless beans.

*If your in South Mexico, Taqueria's do not exist because it becomes FOOD as opposed to anything special.

*Also Chipotle sucks.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re:

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

pinback wrote: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 pm BEN'S SOUTHERN KITCHEN PRESENTS: CHEESY POBLANO GRITS

Did I get cheeky and throw in the "poblano" part as a little nod to the great Southwest? Sure, and you'll be happy I did!

INGREDIENTS
=========
2 cups water
3/4 cup quick-cook grits
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 poblano chiles
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS
========
1. Place poblanos under a broiler, or on a grill until charred and blistered on all sides. Place charred poblanos in a closed plastic or paper bag to steam for ten minutes. Remove poblanos from bag, remove the skin and the seeds, then chop 'em up.

2. Boil the water. Once boiling, add grits and salt, stir, reduce heat and cover until grits are relatively thick.

3. Add cheese, butter, and chopped poblanos to grits. Stir until everything's all melted together.

That's it. Top with shrimp or andouille or anything else, or nothing.
BUMPER CROP

Getting the ingredients for this right now.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!