Arcade help

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Arcade help

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

So we went to Costa Rica for a week and a half. We were having member's of my gal's family "check on the cats."

The cats ended up locking themselves in the bedroom twice for two ways (pissing on the bed) and at one point a cat got into Zoo Keeper and hid out.

Now Zoo Keeper doesn't work.

Q*bert's screen collapsed. Tempest did the same thing a couple years ago. Oh, Q*bert collapsed, but not always! Only sometimes.

So rather than take a week to figure this out I hired a guy off craigslist who is coming tonight to help out.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Is there any chance he would also like his picture taken for an upcoming IF game?

"You have been attacked by [3] shady repairmen..."
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

Melissa asked if I have to pay the guy if he doesn't fix the games. It's a great question that has never come up. Usually when I've hired people, they fix the games.

This is an excellent halfway point. If the guy throws up his hands or just starts pissing on the circuits because he ran out of ideas, then yeah, for the first $50, I get a photo and he becomes "part" of the game. I think that's fair.

Flack

Post by Flack »

If he doesn't fix anything and demands full payment, shove him inside one of the machines and lock him in. At that point he also becomes a part of your game. Literally.

I suppose it's a valid question on Melissa's part. We assume that a guy advertising such services on CL would actually know what he was doing but you never know. Times are hard.

Ice Cream Jonsey

He verified that there was nothing obviously wrong with the Zoo Keeper. Fuuuuuck. I called Exidy and he thinks the CPU took a shit.

He's going to do a cap kit and reflow on Q*bert's monitor. He asked for $100 now and $50 later. There is a place online that will do a monitor rebuild for $175 if I remember right, and I'd have had to remove the circuit board (which I hate doing from monitors) and mail it and go to the post office. So I'll consider this a net win so far.

Looks like I am going to have to burn new ROMs for Zoo Keeper though. Luckily I bought a ROM burner a couple years ago.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Arcade help

Man, this ended up being a mess. I sent my Zoo Keeper boards to a trustworthy guy in either Virginia or Georgia. They worked on his machine. He sent them back. They never did end up working on mine. I have the "ZooQ" board on Zoo Keeper though and that's a fine compromise.

Tdarcos

Re:

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:52 pm If he doesn't fix anything and demands full payment, shove him inside one of the machines and lock him in. At that point he also becomes a part of your game. Literally.
I loved your remark, it was hilarious, but unfortunately such activity is frowned upon by society.

Besides, if he does that, soon the guy will start making a stink. Literally. Then he has to get rid of the corpse. Or he feeds and waters the guy through some opening in the case, in which case the guy will also start making a stink. Literally.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

You just replied to a six-year-old post, Paul.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:05 pm Man, this ended up being a mess. I sent my Zoo Keeper boards to a trustworthy guy in either Virginia or Georgia. They worked on his machine. He sent them back. They never did end up working on mine. I have the "ZooQ" board on Zoo Keeper though and that's a fine compromise.
Hm that sounds like perhaps just a power supply voltage adjustment is needed. But yeah, if the alternative (and more modern) board works I would just use that.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Re: Re:

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:40 am
Flack wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:52 pm If he doesn't fix anything and demands full payment, shove him inside one of the machines and lock him in. At that point he also becomes a part of your game. Literally.
I loved your remark, it was hilarious, but unfortunately such activity is frowned upon by society.

Besides, if he does that, soon the guy will start making a stink. Literally. Then he has to get rid of the corpse. Or he feeds and waters the guy through some opening in the case, in which case the guy will also start making a stink. Literally.
It was more acceptable back when Obama was president, which coincidentally is when I made that comment.