Hugor 3.0 released

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

RealNC

Hugor 3.0 released

Post by RealNC »

New version is up:

https://github.com/realnc/hugor/releases/tag/v3.0
  • Fixed a potential crash when parsing inputs containing compounds (like GET OUT OF BED.)
  • Fixed a potential crash when the game sets an application window title that is too long.
  • Games with video no longer result in the audio device being opened a second time and showing up as coming from a different application in the operating system's sound mixer UI.
  • The correct version is now reported when games query it through the GET_VERSION opcode.
  • LibVLC is now the only video backend. The GStreamer backend has been removed.
  • A relatively modern compiler with C++17 support is now required to build Hugor. GCC 5.4 (shipped by Ubuntu 16.04) is the oldest GCC version that is verified to still work.
  • It is now possible to bundle custom fonts when distributing a game together with the interpreter. See the example.cfg file for more information.
  • Fixed various issues when reading cfg override files. The file is now assumed to be UTF-8 encoded. Entries are now case-insensitive. Entries containing commas are now parsed correctly.
Also, there's now also builds for 32-bit Linux and older versions of macOS. The normal macOS version requires at least macOS 10.13 or newer. The legacy version supports macOS as old as 10.9 (Mavericks.)

Roody_Yogurt

Re: Hugor 3.0 released

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Whoa, great news. Thanks!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hell yeah!

icj: Does this mean we need to re-package anything for Steam? Particularly, the CZK release you tasked me with back in late March?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Thank you so much for continuing to develop this, RealNC!
icj: Does this mean we need to re-package anything for Steam? Particularly, the CZK release you tasked me with back in late March?
I'm ok with the version of Hugor for Windows being left the way it is, but yeah, I probably want to take some time to test the Mac and Linux versions of 3.0.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:14 pm Thank you so much for continuing to develop this, RealNC!
I'm ok with the version of Hugor for Windows being left the way it is, but yeah, I probably want to take some time to test the Mac and Linux versions of 3.0.
Gotcha. Looking like I'm going to get to this sooner than later because contract job 1 of 2 is put on hold for a bit til the devs can crank more code out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I forgot to remove the comment in example.cfg that says it doesn't work on macOS. It does. So games (with custom font files) can now be bundled for macOS as well. Rename Hugor.app to MyGame.app and will look for MyGame.cfg and MyGame.hex.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Just in case people are interested in running Hugor on Linux ARM devices (like Raspberry Pi), I added two new builds to the download page. One for arm32v7 and one for arm64.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Whoa, that's very cool, too!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Yes, I've got Pis floating around and running Hugor on them sounds amazing. Thanks!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!