Hugor in MacOS Catalina

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Jizaboz

Re: Hugor in MacOS Catalina

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:13 pm Version 1.0.0
9.3 MB
Last modified Aug 15, 2012

Have I just got an outdated version?
Yes. Very outdated. Current version is 2.2. Download it from here:

https://github.com/realnc/hugor/releases/latest
Ah-Ha! Yeah I thought that seemed old. For some reason I thought I already updated, but apparently that was just my Windoze machine. Thanks! Works now!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:13 pm Have I just got an outdated version?
Yes. Very outdated. Current version is 2.2. Download it from here:

https://github.com/realnc/hugor/releases/latest
Two things:
1. One of the files is "hugor-2.2-source.tar.xz" I presume that is supposed to end in .gz?
2. Github shows what I presume is your real name. I now understand your nickname, as NC are your initials. I wouldn't even dream of trying to pronounce your name. Is it Greek, by any chance?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:16 pm 2. Github shows what I presume is your real name. I now understand your nickname, as NC are your initials. I wouldn't even dream of trying to pronounce your name. Is it Greek, by any chance?
No matter what the truth is here I'll always consider the NC in RealNC's name to stand for Nutcracker. That sounds badass except that I also envision RealNC doing all his coding wearing poncy ballet outfits. Who are we to judge? Not me.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Tdarcos wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:16 pmOne of the files is "hugor-2.2-source.tar.xz" I presume that is supposed to end in .gz?
No, it is actually supposed to be xz. It's a better compression format than gz.
I wouldn't even dream of trying to pronounce your name. Is it Greek, by any chance?
Yes it is. I thought you already knew all that, Mr. Robinson.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 am
Tdarcos wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:16 pmOne of the files is "hugor-2.2-source.tar.xz" I presume that is supposed to end in .gz?
No, it is actually supposed to be xz. It's a better compression format than gz.
If that is the case, why aren't all the other files stored as .xz format? Is there some special reason or did you try both and for those .gz was smaller? At first I thought you were pulling my chain and being what I am not (see below), as I had never heard of them before, however I found out both 7zip and Winzip support xz containers same as they do for GZip ones.
RealNC wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 am
I wouldn't even dream of trying to pronounce your name. Is it Greek, by any chance?
Yes it is. I thought you already knew all that, Mr. Robinson.
Notwithstanding what some people might say (or some who visit here might be), I am not a dick, sir; if I knew it, I would not have asked you.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pmIf that is the case, why aren't all the other files stored as .xz format? Is there some special reason or did you try both and for those .gz was smaller? At first I thought you were pulling my chain and being what I am not (see below), as I had never heard of them before, however I found out both 7zip and Winzip support xz containers same as they do for GZip ones.
Windows and macOS do not support xz files, so I kept those as zip files so that people won't need any 3rd-party software to extract them. As for the Linux version, it's a tar.gz instead of a tar.xz because the contained AppImage is already compressed with xz. It's only packaged in a tar.gz for easier use compared to a direct download of the AppImage file. It would require manually marking it as executable prior to running it, which might confuse some users. Putting it in a tar.gz preserves the executable bit when unpacking it.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Keka app on MacOS doesn't care what it's compressed in, but yes I can't tell you how many times I sent someone at work on a Mac a 7zip file and they don't know what to do with it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I wish there was a program that was a kind of "gold standard" for PC compatibility.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!