Fixing a few Hugo problems

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Fixing a few Hugo problems

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Yeah, Roody! This is just the outline, Tdarcos wasn't going to make the WHOLE GAME like that!

Paul, you let this forum know what issues you're having, although Roody was right in that maybe God will step in to stop this game from ever being completed.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:34 pm No, no, no, no, no. Again, I'm not trying to do anything with the message routine. I don't have a problem with the message routine.
Paul, text games are all smoke and mirrors. In many scenarios, if you change the messages correctly, the player can't tell any difference.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:35 pm Guys, it's clear Jiz doesn't have the Hugo programming experience that Tdarcos does.
I only make stuff in Twine :(
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:33 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:35 pm Guys, it's clear Jiz doesn't have the Hugo programming experience that Tdarcos does.
Guys, let's try to convince Jiz to switch over to Hugo. He might be ready. After all, he's just hanging on by a thread!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:00 pm
Jizaboz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:33 pm
Guys, let's try to convince Jiz to switch over to Hugo. He might be ready. After all, he's just hanging on by a thread!
Just kidding about Twine heh-heh

However yeah everything I have previously released to the public was created in Inform7.

Like I stated before, I do have experience in Hugo. I made a few prototypes and am still working on a full game with graphics and all. The old demo version is still available on Jizaboz.com in the Projects section if you’d like to try!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:03 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:34 pmI don't have a problem with the message routine.
Paul, text games are all smoke and mirrors. In many scenarios, if you change the messages correctly, the player can't tell any difference.
I see what you're getting at, use the message intercept for that message to check and actually perform the work. I considered that, but the easiest way to make errors is to change a procedure's function to something not normally expected. Or to quote the slogan of the fictional Good Intentions Paving Company, LLC, "We will pave it!" err, I mean "The road to hell is paved by Good Intentions." Much simpler to fix the code in DOENTER to handle the case I have - which can then allow me to use it in a later game if a double "inside" is needed - it will work correctly "out of the box. I could set up a flag to enable this feature, then offer it to you as an option for the next re;ease of Roodylib [ uf there will be one - for those who need it.

Plus if I insert the enter code in the message routine I have to duplicate all of the code that is normally handled nu DOENTER. I prefer simple and clean.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.