Hugo syntax file for EditPlus.

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ben

Hugo syntax file for EditPlus.

Post by Ben »

If anyone out there both programs in Hugo, and uses EditPlus, here is version 0.000001 of a syntax file for it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pinback/hugo/hugo.stx

If you DON'T use EditPlus, then you are just weird.

Now, the one major problem that I'm having with this syntax stuff is that it doesn't currently \
handle this \
correctly, if you \
catch my drift.

Which is too bad. But hey, maybe I can fix it.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Okay, I fixed it. Version 0.00000002 is now up on that site.

-- Ben Parrish --
-- Supporting the Hugo Community Since 11:04 PM --

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I find myself using the "Programmer's File Editor." The only downside is that it initializes to "PFE" which sounds almost like "Piffle" and there's an image macro floating around which ruins the word "piffle." I'd like to post it now.

Ahem.

Could I ask "hey, where did you get EditPlus from?" Well, sure. But that would be a very obvious attempt to try to get someone to post. So I instead typed "editplus" into a browser window and you'd better believe I found positive results!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ben

Post by Ben »

I think you will be very happy with your "purchase". Myself, I have chosen to merely evaluate the product.

I am currently on "day 492 of [my] 30 day evaluation period" (its words, not mine.)

Ben

Post by Ben »

So, have you tried out EditPlus yet, with my lovingly crafted syntax file?

It's really quite a lovely program. It's one of those programs where you'll (I'll) be doing something, and you'll (I'll) think, "Man, I wish it did (x)", and then you (I) open up a menu, and BAM, there it is.

Lex

Post by Lex »

I get that with hookers.
WHOOA!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ben wrote:So, have you tried out EditPlus yet, with my lovingly crafted syntax file?

It's really quite a lovely program. It's one of those programs where you'll (I'll) be doing something, and you'll (I'll) think, "Man, I wish it did (x)", and then you (I) open up a menu, and BAM, there it is.
I haven't written a line of code in three days, but I will this weekend. Though if you were to write one of these things for PFE I'd be really psyched. The fact that you don't actually have or use PFE is probably a sticking point on that, though.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Lex wrote:I get that with hookers.
I'm sure you do, "Captain".

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ben wrote:I was a bit put off by PFE's main website. And I quote:
Development and distribution of Programmer's File Editor has come to an end, and the PFE Web Site is now closed; regrettably time will not permit replying to PFE-related e-mail.
So I'm a little concerned about customer support issues.
Yeah, that's off-setting. I mean, when I finished Revenger I didn't, for instance, go take out an HTML page and say, "Revenger is now finished and the Revenger web site is closed. Revenger-related e-mails will be immediately deleted, and the computer that received those unwanted messages will be atomized."

OK, that's a lie, but still. I don't think the PFE guy has the same attitude towards finishing a product that maybe the rest of us do. When I finish a program I am PUMPED. I mean, it's *done*, right? After finishing the last two Hugo games I went down to the Perkins in "Old Town Fort Collins," drank coffee, cracked wise, ate bagels, and re-acquainted myself with reality for a bit. The PFE guy seemed rather pissed that PFE was finished.

In case he is out there -- dude! You wrote (in my personal opinion) the best text editor of all time, and in the opinion of many, one of the best ever. Your fans are happy. Why you not be happy? You eat nectari -- whoops, wrong site.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hmm. I downloaded PFE, and can't figure out how to do anything. Like, change tab sizes. And get auto-indenting going. This maybe be one of those editors (like emacs or something) which can do everything in the world, but makes it very hard to figure out how to do it.

In any case, since EditPlus seems more powerful on the face of it, and much easier to use for a newbie, I think I'll stick with it.

Look at all these great FEATURES (and tell me how to do them in PFE so I can try it out):

1. Syntax highlighting
2. Automatic "function list", allowing you to skip to any function/routine in the current file.
3. A bunch of other stuff.

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

No, I'll give it a whirl tonight. You know the guy who played the disintegrated thug in Fallacy of Dawn? That guy? He just bought a house and a couple of us are going over there to throw up on his carpet as a sort of "initiation" thing. I say a couple because, well, he doesn't have that many friends.

I am always forgetting syntax highlighting, and I am young enough where I have not committed to a single text editor for the rest of my life, or woman.

This "a bunch of other stuff" sounds intriguing, however.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Awright. How do I install this thing? I have the stx file and EditPlus2. Please send help! Fast!

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, I seem to have it working. This is pretty slick. You went above and beyond the call of duty there for this one. You should, y'know, send it to the archive or something.

I never thought I'd ever not use PFE. But I had been aware of other text editors having that handy list of files in the same directory displayed on the left hand of the screen and handy syntax highlighting. I'm not even sure if it's possible to do additional syntax highlighting in PFE. EditPlus here kind of reminds me of TextPad, a text editor that I had previously been introduced to, but resisted using.

Good job, Mr Parrish. Well played.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Ben wrote: Look at all these great FEATURES (and tell me how to do them in PFE so I can try it out):

1. Syntax highlighting
2. Automatic "function list", allowing you to skip to any function/routine in the current file.
3. A bunch of other stuff.
I should mention that I don't know how to do any of that stuff in PFE.

I now use EditPlus exclusively. Well, not totally true: I use PFE for editing single files as it's associated to .txt on my W98 computer.

You have won this round, Mr Parrish!

Also: someone asked about a text editor that worked with Hugo. So I pointed him to your .stx file. I'm going to upload it to the archive tonight. This makes the following which I have uploaded to the archive which were written by you and not me:

1) Aggravatron: Annoyotron II
2) Annoyotron
3) the .stx file for Hugo for EditPlus

All-righty, then.

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, I uploaded it, and it should be in the archive.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Followup: Robb, you still using this or have you found yourself moving back to PFE or something else?

Just curious.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I'm actually using EditPlus2 with Ben's plug-in exclusively now. Which was actually a trap, as Ben wrote his plug-in with a timer, and he makes you type in things after every couple hours of a given session. Have you ever been staring down the cold, forsaken alleyways of an unknown bug in an unknown spot and -- suddenly -- find yourself having to type

Code: Select all

Ben is great! Ben is a god! All others who write EP plug-ins are just crummy sods!
...over and over again, in order to satisfy the software that lets you see the word "visited" in a different color? I have, my friend, and it's a world I find myself desperately attempting to escape, yet one that I cannot live without.

OK, nonsense aside, I'm using EditPlus2 still, and have even taken to using it at work. I was able to setup EP to have all the shortcuts that I learned in PFE (Ctrl-G to go to a specific line, F2 to Search, etc.) so there was no mismashing of keys that I had to go through. It was like learning Dvorak on a QWERTY keyboard or something. I like having all the files in a given directory available for me to click on without having to go to my program folder. The only thing that I miss is that, with PFE letting you run a different instance of PFE for each specific file, Alt-tabbing back and forth between code files. But it's no biggie just to click on the name of the file I want to look at down at the bottom of EP's window.

mercurycs

Post by mercurycs »

I have been looking for Version 0.00000002 of this syntax file but can only find Version 0.00000001 anywhere. does anyone have a link? thanks

the link to
http://ifmirror.russotto.net/indexes/if ... itors.html

is for the version 0.000000001 unfortunately.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, I was using that as well.... Ben, do you have any idea what you meant by not handling the \ character correctly?

Ice Cream Jonsey

You know what, the 00(etc)001 file has this:

#ESCAPE=\

Is there any chance that Ben forgot to update the version number? Have we had 00(sigh, etc.)002 all along?