Semi-interesting statistics

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Kent

Semi-interesting statistics

Post by Kent »

So every once in a while I get curious, I look at the IF Archive download stats, and I fire up the old VisiCalc.

Of the top five most-downloaded games, three are Hugo games. Actually, two of the top three are. #1 is Guilty Bastards (still? WTF?). #2 is Fallacy of Dawn, and #5 is the FB demo. #3 and #4 are LASH and Curses.

Then, #6 is A Crimson Spring, #7 is Necrotic Drift, #8 is Anchorhead.

I'm sure this is all incredibly significant.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Wow! I had no idea. Do you have the numbers kicking around for GB and Fallacy? I thought I remembered that Chicks Dig Jerks came to about 10,000 downloads if you added up all the place it's located on the archive. But it could have been 1,000. Even my memory of how many people have played it is buggy!

For what it's worth, when I released Fallacy I searched for Guilty Bastards on the net and went to every site that you had reached in an attempt to get them to link to me as well. Using your language, using your compiler, using your marketing techniques: you've been like a father to me. Instead of sending child support you send verblib.g support.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Arnel

Re: Semi-interesting statistics

Post by Arnel »

Kent wrote:Of the top five most-downloaded games, three are Hugo games. Actually, two of the top three are. #1 is Guilty Bastards (still? WTF?). #2 is Fallacy of Dawn, and #5 is the FB demo. #3 and #4 are LASH and Curses.

Then, #6 is A Crimson Spring, #7 is Necrotic Drift, #8 is Anchorhead.

I'm sure this is all incredibly significant.
It certainly is. That could mean people are looking for IF works that offers a little more visual feedback.

Why not Guilty Bastards? Even Adam Cadre mentioned playing the game and considering using Hugo when Glulx wasn't around yet.

Unless, of course, you're joking when you said "WTF". I think I gotta lay off the coffee. ;)

Merk

Post by Merk »

Where'd you see the stats? Very interesting!!

I bet GB must be linked from some key places -- some resource or download sites. That would definitely make it easier to get. :)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Merk wrote:Where'd you see the stats? Very interesting!!

I bet GB must be linked from some key places -- some resource or download sites. That would definitely make it easier to get. :)
I did some digging on this, and there is a Stats file, essentially, that is compiled each month for all the downloads to the if-archive proper (IIRC, the mirrors do not add to these totals).

OK, lemme see if I can find this directory again, I knew I had it at one point... argh...
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Maybe it's not that people like games with visual feedback, maybe it's because they like games that are "fun" and "accessible".

I don't know, but the last time I checked out IF, it generally came in three flavors:

1. Crap.

2. Authors trying to show you how much smarter and more
clever they are than you.

3. Robb Sherwin.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Kent

Post by Kent »

I hope I'm category 3, man.

Kent

Post by Kent »

Sorry, I also could've actually answered a couple questions while I'm at it.

Yeah, these are basically pulled from the generated archive stats and quickly sorted.

The nine most downloaded individual games in 2005 (not counting comp packages) were:
  • 8078: guilty.exe
    7090: dawn.zip
    3790: LASH.zip (Z-code)
    3503: curses.z5
    2923: future_boy_demo.zip
    2670: scourge.zip
    2238: ndrift.zip
    2190: anchor.z8
    1874: slouch.z5
The stats may or may not be less reliable than in the past given that more downloads seem to come from mirrors than the official IF Archive (which produces the stats). For instance, in 2004, guilty.exe had 19735 downloads. The top 5 that year were oneweek.zip, guilty.exe, dawn.zip, magicflu.zip, and scourge.zip.

I just pulled up the September 2006 stats, and they look like:
  • 981: LASH.zip
    521: dawn.zip
    400: guilty.exe
for the top 3.

So basically, all your base, Robb Sherwin, etc. etc.