Hugonomicon

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

cauldron

Hugonomicon

Post by cauldron »

Hello.
It's currently impossible to join Hugonomicon.
Is the site dead :shock: ?...
I hope not.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Yeah, I saw that a little while ago. That sucks. Here's hoping that is comes back to life, heh.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I haven't seen Hugonomican post in a thread in years. It's really a shame--if he's by whatever chance reading this what he was doing was fantastic and I was really looking forward to the next step of the process, there. Real life probably got him.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Hugella

Post by Hugella »

After an unexpected email from the artist formerly known as Roody_Yogurt on FB, I'm curious: is anyone still interested in the Hugonomicon? I bought the domain name awhile back, but haven't done anything with it.

If there's any interest, I'll see about getting it back up and running.

And sorry about the Sourceforge blow-down. Somewhere along the line the PostNuke install running the site blew up and I lost the wherewithall to fix the damn thing.

Jeff Nyman

Post by Jeff Nyman »

Hugella wrote:If there's any interest, I'll see about getting it back up and running.
So ... after a lot of teaching of Inform 7 and TADS 3, I'm finding people actually respond well to something like Hugo because it toes the line between a certain level of simplicity and "just getting things done."

So I'm thinking about re-doing some of my old tutorials and all that "good" stuff. (Problem is that most of that material has disappeared from my universe; so I'll have to recreate.) This is me saying that, yeah, I would probably have some interest.

I'm back from Iraq (which is good) and I'm probably going to let others take on teaching I7 or T3 (which is good or bad, depending on your viewpoint) and so I'm basically free to do whatever. And I'd really like to get back into Hugo. But I've also cleared out my old Web sites so I don't have anywhere to store anything at the moment.

- Jeff (who formerly posted under the name 'Cryptonomic' for reasons he's not entirely sure of)

Hugella

Post by Hugella »

Well, www.hugonomicon is active! Not much there yet, but the site is set up and ready serve some Hugolicious content. Which I'll get to over the next week or so. Please feel free to go over there, register an account, and poke around. It's my first time using Drupal and it's very likely I don't know what I'm doing.

Jeff Nyman

Post by Jeff Nyman »

Hugella wrote:Please feel free to go over there, register an account, and poke around. It's my first time using Drupal and it's very likely I don't know what I'm doing.
The main thing I've found is that the site is not sending e-mails, but it is creating accounts. The problem is even when you try to reset your password the e-mail won't be sent. So you effectively can't log in.

It might be falling through on a condition somewhere because I notice any time I do anything that requires an e-mail being sent, I get two messages: one saying the e-mail cannot be sent, another saying that it has been sent. The first one, however, appears to be accurate.

- Jeff

Hugella2

Post by Hugella2 »

After delving into the mysterious waters of postfix, the mail problem should be working now. And Jeff, I do see you as a registered user in the backend, so you should be able to request your password now.

Jeff Nyman

Post by Jeff Nyman »

Indeed so. I was able to reset my password and log in.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I signed up. :)

Let me know when you're ready for people to look at it. I'll put the source code to Pantomime up at the archive so you have an exclusive piece of news to launch with!

Jeff Nyman

Post by Jeff Nyman »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I'll put the source code to Pantomime up at the archive ...
Nice. When you do, are there any objections to me scouring it to use for techniques for a new manual and/or documentation?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Not at all - anything in that regard is totally OK, and I would be honored if something in there was helpful.

It will probably be more likely that people think, "This guy sucks at coding" and the IF Archive is visited by townsfolk with oil-lit rags on sticks in the middle of the night.

But one thing that semi-frustrated me, when learning IF languages, was how rare it was to have a complete, working game available. Now, it's probably a good thing. When I grabbed the source code to I-0, the very first thing I tried to do was compile it. (So it was probably for the best that it couldn't be compiled.)

But yeah, I am going to zip up the "pmime" folder on my PC and throw it out there, compiler and all.