Pound - Number characters (like #241) crash Linux

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Pound - Number characters (like #241) crash Linux

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Just a note: I found out that FoD was crashing on Linux, and the reason was that I was using characters like #241, which is this squiggly "o" with a line coming out of it.

I don't even know if what I did was supposed to be supported. The character looked like crap, in retrospect, so I absolutely do not need to go back. Just posting this in case anyone in the future tries the same.

(Keywords for Google!: Hugo, special characters, pound sign, #241, crash, Linux.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Kent!

Post by Kent! »

Well, technically that's supposed to work. You're supposed to be able to supply valid Latin-1 characters as three-digit codes like that. (Do you mean 243 instead of 241? 243 is an o-acute, which I seem to remember being the symbol displayed on Windows.)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Kent! wrote:Well, technically that's supposed to work. You're supposed to be able to supply valid Latin-1 characters as three-digit codes like that. (Do you mean 243 instead of 241? 243 is an o-acute, which I seem to remember being the symbol displayed on Windows.)
Sorry, sorry - yes, I meant 243.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Just a quick update: in Necrotic Drift, I use the word seance with an accented e, and that appears to segfault hewx as well.

(I think the exact word I am using is "s\'eance". )

Kent

Post by Kent »

Cripes. Who the hell wrote that thing, then, anyway?

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

The statically-compiled graphical Linux Hugo works fine under Puppy Linux, so it looks like it's just a matter of a different WXWindows library, or something.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hmm. This is something I ought to revisit then. Thanks for this additional information.

Johnny

I'm an idiot

Post by Johnny »

Um, since it's statically compiled and includes the WXWindows library, that can't be it. I realized this on the way home from the library Thursday. But, yes it's good to know that the binary works... under Puppy Linux. I should try and see why it segfaults under Ubuntu.