Implementing a fake intersection

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Implementing a fake intersection

Post by Tdarcos »

I am going to create a residential section of town which is a grid of approximately 32 named streets and odd and even cross streets, running from about first to 40th streets, north and south.

Now, if I implemented that as real rooms, it would be thousands of rooms, and would be ridiculous duplication.

Instead, I'll have one named street, an even street, an odd street, plus sidewalks on both sides of the street. I had to go through and set it up, and this still requires in the neighborhood of about 25 rooms to implement. (I have 18 right now, but I think I have to add a few more, and I'll have the number later).

Basically, going through this neighborhood will carry a N/S counter and an E/W counter so I know which street name or number to simulate. So with 30 rooms I can emulate thousands.

To keep them from discovering the trick, the streets won't allow littering so someone won't be able to drop something on them.

I'm calling it the "Pie District" because all of the street names will be types of pies. Here's a list of the names:

Almond Ave.
Ambrosia Ave.
Apple Ave.
Banana Ave.
Blackberry Ave.
Black Cherry Lane
Blueberry Ave.
Boysenberry Ave.
Cherry Ave.
Chocolate Ave.
Coconut Ave.
Cranberry Ave.
Dutch Apple Lane
Key Lime Lane
Lemon Ave.
Lemon Meringue Lane
Lime Ave.
Mince Ave.
Mock Apple Lane"
Passion Fruit Lane"
Peach Ave."
Peanut Butter Lane"
Pecan Ave."
Plum Ave."
Praline Ave."
Pumpkin Ave."
Raspberry Ave."
Rhubarb Ave."
Strawberry Ave."
Sweet Potato Lane"
Tamarind Ave."
Wild Cherry Lane"

If you notice, single-word names are avenues, double-word names are lanes.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Here's how the intersection maps out, about 30 rooms
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Perhaps you need to have one MORE place there, building 3.14 lololol rololol ldllllhrrrrrrrrrrrrr snrk

u jelly
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

what is this i don't even
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Tdarcos, did you know that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy had 31 locations total? I like your map, but I worry that you'll go all Thomas Disch on us.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Perhaps you need to have one MORE place there, building 3.14 lololol rololol ldllllhrrrrrrrrrrrrr snrk

u jelly
Are you going crazy? You're making no sense.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:what is this i don't even
It's like this. Let's say you're standing at 02, the NW corner sidewalk of the named street and an odd-numbered street. S puts you on the W crosswalk of the odd street and the named street (13). W puts you in the middle of the N sidewalk of the odd street (25). W again puts you on the NE corner sidewalk (06).

The room will then dynamically show either a numbered street or a named street as the location. I'm trying to see if I can do a seamless implementation of a major piece of a city consisting of 32x40 blocks, faking it on an intersection of 30 rooms as opposed to thousands of rooms.

I just have to override the standard display to customize how it works.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Tdarcos, did you know that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy had 31 locations total? I like your map, but I worry that you'll go all Thomas Disch on us.
I'm doing a few things so the game will provide an interesting sort of sandbox-like experience, and look bigger than it is.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

This could be a really cool bit of simulation, but I hope it isn't a component of a really heinous puzzle! (Not that it's necessarily bad if it is, but I would probably give up on it, since I don't have a particularly good head on my shoulders when it comes to remembering numbers and such.) I do love exploration and the freedom to roam through a simulation in IF, though, and I think this technique could be used well.

Anyways, I hope your game comes together well. You seem to be making progress fast! I wish I had your programming ability. :)

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tdarcos wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Perhaps you need to have one MORE place there, building 3.14 lololol rololol ldllllhrrrrrrrrrrrrr snrk

u jelly
Are you going crazy? You're making no sense.
Pie Street! Pi street! AW YEAH!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!