Bainespal has a new game!

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Roody_Yogurt

Bainespal has a new game!

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Looks like the new game he said was coming up was for the "Andromeda Legacy Competition," where entrants were required to write games that world-shared with Andromedea Legacy, a comp game from last year. You can check it out (and download the game) here: http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtop ... =23&t=5333

I'm excited to check this out, although now I feel obliged to get through Andromeda Legacy first. His submission also happens to be the first game to use my "cover art" extension, so I am happy to see it out in the world!

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

Roody, I didn't thank you well enough in the credits, because I was fumbling for words in the last minute before the deadline (very nearly literally), and my brain was fried from having been testing and debugging like mad. So, please accept my thanks now. Your awesome cover art extension makes my game look more professional than it deserves to look. ;)

(The title of the Marco Innocenti's Comp game is Andromeda Awakening. You probably don't need to play it to understand the plot of Tree and Star, but I would be remiss if I didn't recommend playing Andromeda Awakening, since I was so impressed with its deep worldbuilding that I was inspired to participate in the Andromeda Legacy Comp.)

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I haven't yet played the game(s), but I couldn't help but peek at maga's intfiction review, for fear that my library extensions caused some bugs (opportune.h was at fault for some of the issues with Worldbuilder). I didn't see anything library-wise that I could help with, but I saw the 'military investigator' thing he pointed out. It looked like the biggest issue was that you forgot to add some adjectives (like "tall"), but I thought I'd share some code just to show everybody how to do plural objects (so commands like "X INVESTIGATORS" work ok).

First, you want to make sure you set USE_PLURAL_OBJECTS before "hugolib.h" is included (you don't need to do this with roodylib and the "roodyshell" file):

Code: Select all

#set USE_PLURAL_OBJECTS  ! Use plural objects
Then, you'd want to have code like this:

Code: Select all

plural_class investigators "Militia Investigators"
{
plural_of tall_male tatooed_fem blonde_haired black_haired
single_noun "investigator"
noun "investigators"
}

character investigator "Militia Investigator"
{
	article "the"
	noun "investigator"
	plural_is investigators
}

investigator tall_male "tall male Militia Investigator"
{
	adjective "tall" "male" "militia"
	in STARTLOCATION
}

investigator tattooed_fem "tattooed female Militia Investigator"
{
	adjective "tattooed" "female" "militia"
	inherits female_character
	nearby
}

investigator blonde_haired "blonde-haired female Militia Investigator"
{
	adjective "blonde" "blonde-haired" "haired" "female" "militia"
	inherits female_character
	nearby
}

investigator black_haired "black-haired male Militia Investigator"
{
	adjective "black-haired" "black" "haired" "male" "militia"
	nearby
}
I hope that helps somebody!

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I haven't yet played the game(s), but I couldn't help but peek at maga's intfiction review, for fear that my library extensions caused some bugs (opportune.h was at fault for some of the issues with Worldbuilder).
No, I actually didn't include opportune.h in World Builder. I don't know why I didn't think to do so; I guess I was rushing. In both World Builder and Tree and Star, "opportunity" is merely determined by advancing a global variable every time something important happens (in worldbuilder, I call it action_state, in tree&star, game_state). So, there's lots of conditions testing for action/game_state = whatever, and if a given action doesn't advance the game state, repeating the action will have the same response until the action that does advance the variable is performed.
I hope that helps somebody!
Thank you! I forgot all about the plural class! That will be a major improvement, although I'm going to need to consider some of the changes in properties and attributes that occur in some of those "Militia Investigator" NPCs.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Congratulations to Bainespal for placing 2nd in the Andromeda Comp. This also makes him the 2nd person to ever be awarded money for a Hugo game, I believe (although he'd be the third person to make any money at all). Anyhow, the entries look pretty cool.

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

Thanks, Roody. :)

If there were any justice in the world, you would win a million dollars for almost single-handedly maintaining and extending Hugo. I would have gotten nowhere without your code.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Second place?? Wow, that's awesome, for just your second game ever? Amazing!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Post by pinback »

C'mon you guys.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Well, Bainespal actually refused his prize money, RUINING practically everything I said in my last post in this thread. I begrudgingly still congratulate him on his success.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I demand that Bainespal explain his prize-money-refusal.

I don't usually do this "below the fold", but:

I DEMAND IT!!

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

I didn't want to lose my indie status. =)