Hugo game pages

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Roody_Yogurt

Hugo game pages

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

On intfiction.org, I was reminded how IF games can be a beacon to the online IF repositories. Already, the "default menu" in my newmenu.h extension points to pages for learning Hugo, but I thought I'd add a page that points to places to get games, too.

Of course, I list all of the usual suspects (the IF archive, the IF database, Brass Lantern, People's Republic of IF, IF Reviews), but I thought it'd be nice to give Hugo games some priority. Right now, the first link just a link to the Hugo directory at the IF archive.

Now, if everybody organized their pages as well as ICJ, I'd just link to every individual's main games page, but the author great authors of the field (Mike Snyder, Kent Tessman) haven't organized their sites just so.

I'm thinking that we can make a "Hugo portal" that links to every game page, so my default menu page can point players one place instead of a dozen.

Here are the game pages I know of-
All of Robb's pages
the Trading Punches and Traveling Swordsman pages on Snyder's site
Guilty Bastards and Future Boy pages on Kent's site (I feel guilty about pointing people to Future Boy when it's not really available right now but it's probably also good to pressure Kent to get it out of limbo)

So, anybody know of other nice-looking game pages? Also, if anyone feels compelled to design a little something something for a game that currently has nothing, that'd probably be cool, too.

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

Is this something you might want to do off the Hugo By Example page? Or have it be its own site or something?

I could probably make something like hugo.caltrops.com with no trouble. If they let me separate Wordpress installs, then great, we're good to go there.

What were you thinking?

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I don't have anything particular in mind. I'd have no problem with wordpress being used for the game links page, but if you're suggesting we'd also use that wordpress account as a catchall for hypothetical new game pages, I'm not sure how I feel about using it for everything.

Your game pages look nice (although you could maybe link to Parchment versions of the z-code games instead of using the old zplet), but I do find the dates on game pages a little odd. I feel like I wouldn't want to use that for everything.

Are there things that wordpress is really strong in? To me, it seems a little needlessly obtuse when the average wordpress site doesn't look all that much better than a blogspot page to me, and then there are the horror stories like Rob Wheeler's where his site is being hacked non-stop.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Well, I haven't had any of the sites I am affiliated with hacked. So I think that might be more of a product of where Rob is hosting stuff? I don't know. I don't have a single fact. I am ... I am fact-less.

But in terms of having a computer program take care of the majority of annoyances, Wordpress is how I would do it.

You can configure it so that it has static pages instead of the update/new article motif you commonly see. Also, there's so much stuff that integrates with it now, I'd hate to have to code that in by hand.

If someone said to me "Hugo Game Portal" I would be thinking of a website that maybe has a page for each Hugo game? Because there are so few of them. And sure, if a page already exists for a game, you can direct people to it.

Just throwing darts against a wall here. :)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Keep in mind that Wordpress is infinitely configurable. On Review-o-Matic, I re-wrote the category pages to show lists of games instead of the normal Wordpress previews.

http://www.review-o-matic.com/?cat=8

As for hacking Wordpress ... it's definitely something you have to stay on top of. The less plug-ins the better, and you have to stay on top of the ones you've installed to make sure no exploits are found in them. People are constantly looking for vulnerabilities in plug-ins, themes, and Wordpress itself. If anyone ever gets something injected directly into the database it can be a pain in the ass to get rid of. One thing I did was made essentially my entire Wordpress directory read only. That prevents most of the random hack upload exploits. Other than that, you upgrade often, backup regularly, and hope for the best.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

You can also use a link to IFDB that lists only Hugo games, with the ones who received more votes listed first:

http://ifdb.tads.org/search?sortby=rcu& ... tem%3Ahugo

That's an ugly URL though, so you could abbreviate it through some other site that forwards to the above.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Nikos!!! I need a way to force users into using a particular proportional and non-prop font when they start Hugo, if I am going to submit my next game to Steam in 2013. Whose palm do I gotta grease to make this happen? I am willing to download the source code and give it a try myself, but I haven't coded in C in years.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

RealNC wrote:You can also use a link to IFDB that lists only Hugo games, with the ones who received more votes listed first:

http://ifdb.tads.org/search?sortby=rcu& ... tem%3Ahugo

That's an ugly URL though, so you could abbreviate it through some other site that forwards to the above.
Thanks, nice to have a link to refer to for sorting by system, since it can be hard to do that at the IFDB sometimes, I've found. As far as my hypothetical page goes, I'm thinking I might want to put together something prettier, but it's nice to have that option.