Free Your Code

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

loafingcoyote

Free Your Code

Post by loafingcoyote »

For far too long I've let far too much code languish on my hard drive, unreleased. I've always been a bit of a perfectionist and the truth is that perfectionism is an enemy of productive work. That will end now. This is the thread where I finally release my pent up code to the Hugo speaking world.

The first item, NpcMove.h version 2, is done. You can find it here on HbE. This version is now, no kidding, several hundred times more efficient than the original. The old version was so flawed that it's a wonder it worked at all. Version 2.0 is thoroughly tested and I don't anticipate it being changed much in the future.

The next items to be released in a timely manner:
  • 1. GotoRoom.h - A Magnetic Scrolls type "go to [room]" extension, first introduced in C.H.U.M.S.

2. MapMaker.h - My random map generating routines, also first introduced in C.H.U.M.S.

3. Hugo Rap - A reactive agent planner for Hugo.
If anyone else has code that needs to see the light of day then you're welcome to release it here also. It can be an extension, game or whatever. It may not be perfect but, hey, who cares? Come on...free your code!

-lc

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I was going to say, sadly, that I didn't think I had anything sitting around, but lo and behold, I had a couple things that I hadn't officially added to HbE yet.

First off is just an update to Cardinal Teulbach's CanGo extension, which does exit-listing. My extension is include-able and cleans up some code. It's called CanGoLite.

The second one is my attempt to write a better exit-listing extension. It uses object management instead of arrays to keep track of stuff. It's called NewCanGo.

I've talked about these things at Not Dead Hugo, so they might not be completely new to people, but hey, at least they have HbE pages now.

Glad to see you freed your code. I'm especially looking forward to playing with the Magnetic Scrolls room-traveling extension!

Everybody, free your code!

loafingcoyote

Post by loafingcoyote »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:First off is just an update to Cardinal Teulbach's CanGo extension, which does exit-listing. My extension is include-able and cleans up some code. It's called CanGoLite.

The second one is my attempt to write a better exit-listing extension. It uses object management instead of arrays to keep track of stuff. It's called NewCanGo.
Thank you for your participation. CanGo is one of the most useful extensions imaginable so it's exciting to have two new and improved version to pick from. Awesome work Roody, as usual!
Roody_Yogurt wrote:Glad to see you freed your code. I'm especially looking forward to playing with the Magnetic Scrolls room-traveling extension!
That's coming soon, maybe tonight. The minimal demo game that comes with it is almost done. I'll be interested to see your reaction to it. I think you'll be surprised at how I did it and probably start to have an idea how you could make your own(likely improved)version. You'll understand what I'm talking about when you see it ;)

-lc

loafingcoyote

Post by loafingcoyote »

Alright, GotoRoom.h has been set free. Anyone familiar at all with NpcMove.h will notice a lot of similarly between the two. In fact, the same code does the heavy lifting for both. Tomorrow I'll write up a proper HbE page and try to finish the demo game. After a long day at work I'm just too weary to do that tonight.

Also due tomorrow is my map making extension. It does what it was written to do but still needs a lot of work. I'll release it in a beta state, but that's okay; it doesn't have to be perfect. Hopefully I'll have time to knock that out and keep this momentum going!

-lc

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

You're right; seeing the code did inspire me to go take my own swing at it, although your code definitely looks nicely configurable and robust. I just wanted to try see how well I could use my existing extensions towards the problem.

My design uses my "findpath.h" extension (although I found a bug in it while writing today's code, so a new version is up at HBE), which in turn uses the character scripting system.

My grammar is pretty much the same as yours:

Code: Select all

verb "go", "walk"
	*							DoGo
	* "to" anything DoGoto
	* "in"/"into"/"inside"/"through" object            DoEnter
	* "out"/"off" object                                          DoGo
	* "out"/"outside"                                       DoExit
	* anything DoGoto
Now, my only concern with that is that I ran into some problems in "The Next Day" where using the anything token caused me some trouble where there were objects-similarly-named-to-rooms because in Hugo, a nearby object always overrides a not-nearby room, no matter how much parser_rank-tweaking you do. It's very possible that my problems were caused by bad code, though.

The next bit of code is:

Code: Select all

include "findpath.h"

routine DoGoTo
{
	if object.type ~= room
	{
		if FindObject(object)
		{
		! &DoGo *should* redirect to DoEnter in applicable circumstances
			return Perform(&DoGo, object)
		}
		"You can't go to that!"
		return false
	}
	elseif object = location
	{
		"You are already there."
		return false
	}

local a
	MakePath(location,object)
	a = SetPath(player)
	If not a
	{
		"You can't get there from here."
		return false
	}
	! take the first step of our journey
	RunScripts
	! check that we have more steps in our journey and that nothing
	! important has happened
	while ( (FindScript(player)~= MAX_SCRIPTS) and event_flag ~= 2)
	{
		main
	}
}

! replaced CharMove to allow usage for the player character
replace CharMove(char, dir)
{
#ifclear NO_OBJLIB

local newroom, a

if dir.type ~= direction
		return

newroom = parent(char).(dir.dir_to)

if newroom.type = door
	{
		a = newroom
		newroom = a.between #((parent(char) = \
				a.between #1) + 1)
		if a is not open
		{
			if char in location or newroom = location
			{
				self = a
				""
				OMessage(door, 5)
			}
		}
		elseif newroom = location or char in location
			a = 0
	}

if char in location and not a
	{
		Message(&CharMove, 1, char, dir)
		if not event_flag
			event_flag = true
	}

if char = player
	{
		MovePlayer(newroom)
	}
	else
		move char to newroom

#ifset DEBUG
	if debug_flags & D_SCRIPTS
	{
		print "["; CThe(char); IsorAre(char, true); " now in:  ";
		print capital parent(char).name; ".]"
	}
#endif

if char ~= player
	{
		if char in location and not a
		{
			Message(&CharMove, 2, char, dir)
			event_flag = true
		}
		elseif char in location
			event_flag = true
	}

#endif  ! ifclear NO_OBJLIB

run parent(char).after

return true
}
So, my system uses "findpath.h" to write the path steps to a character script for the player character. If you need to interrupt the walking, you have to set event_flag to 2.

Anyhow, the funniest side effect of doing it this way is that the player character picks up NPC's supernatural ability to go through doors, opening and closing them without using up a turn.

loafingcoyote

Post by loafingcoyote »

I knew when you saw that I used my pathfinding routine for this you wouldn't be able to resist tying it yourself! I'm glad you did. I really like the way the movement messages look. The most impressive feature is the fact that you were able to include Findpath without modification(not counting the bug, of course). I'll put it to the test and let you know how it goes!
Roody_Yogurt wrote:Now, my only concern with that is that I ran into some problems in "The Next Day" where using the anything token caused me some trouble where there were objects-similarly-named-to-rooms because in Hugo, a nearby object always overrides a not-nearby room, no matter how much parser_rank-tweaking you do. It's very possible that my problems were caused by bad code, though.
This is a tricky issue. I've been fortunate that it hasn't been a real problem for me yet, but I haven't used it in anything but small games. This is an issue that will probably take a little effort to work through.

All right, tonight's code release is MapMaker. It is very rough but stable; it hasn't failed me yet. There are a lot of planned features that are not yet implemented. Again I'm short of time tonight, so a proper HbE page will probably have to wait for the weekend. The important thing is that this code has been released from bondage. What a relief!

-lc

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

The other day, I was looking for something in this base and was reminded of this thread and was like, wow, yeah, that was a great idea!

I think we should turn "Free Your Code" Day into an annual holiday.