Animation?

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I've emailed Kent and sent him a link to this thread. Let's see if we can get this going.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Flack wrote:According to Wikipedia, none of the major browsers natively support MNG files. If you're thinking about a web-based version of Hugo in the future, that might be a consideration.
Thanks, Flack. Yeah, I think that animated GIF is the way to go with MNG support also added.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I'm adding video to Hugor. Can someone lend me a copy of Future Boy? It's for development and testing purposes :-P

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I believe I just took care of this.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I believe I just took care of this.
Yep. Thanks again.

Gif Master

Post by Gif Master »

WE GETTEN GIFS?!??!!?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Gif Master wrote:WE GETTEN GIFS?!??!!?
No. Video. MPEG and stuff. GIF support will have to wait for Kent to find some free time and officially add it to the engine.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Heh, I also thought that maybe you two had a deal where GIF could be back on the table once video was supported. Still, it'll be cool to have Future Boy! working properly on those extra platforms. Judging by your past work, I'm very optimistic.

(Personally, I do have a video-enhanced game idea, too, but I've been hiding behind the fact that video support was not completely there that I have not put a ton of thought into it.)

Whether or not you particularly get the AVI support working, I'll be curious to hear about what you find out about its support. When testing various kinds of AVI files in Hugo myself, I was unable to figure out what determines whether something will work; lots of files I tested did not.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Heh, I also thought that maybe you two had a deal where GIF could be back on the table once video was supported.
Nah, there's no secret Cabal or anything. Kent basically said in his reply that he has quite a few enhancements for Hugo in his TODO list but needs to find the time for it. And he agrees that support for animated images is very useful, so I suppose we will see it included in the language. And if I were to shoehorn-in GIF support in Hugor, it wouldn't work as nicely as it would with full compiler and language support anyway (for example there would be no way to stop or pause the animation, or set a loop flag.)
Whether or not you particularly get the AVI support working, I'll be curious to hear about what you find out about its support. When testing various kinds of AVI files in Hugo myself, I was unable to figure out what determines whether something will work; lots of files I tested did not.
The official terp uses DirectShow, so I'd think it supports everything as long as you have a codec installed for it. I've no idea why some files wouldn't work though if you do have a codec for it (if it plays in Windows Media Player, it should also play in hewin.exe).

In Hugor on the other hand I'm using GStreamer. It's actually fully working in Linux already, but I need to figure out how GStreamer interacts with Windows. I didn't get it to work there yet, and neither in OS X. In Linux it does play everything though. Even mp4 and MKV files with whatever video format happens to be in there. Maybe I'll actually need to find a way to remove support for formats that are not supposed to be put in Hugo resource files.

Gif Master

Post by Gif Master »

RealNC wrote:
Gif Master wrote:WE GETTEN GIFS?!??!!?
No. Video. MPEG and stuff. GIF support will have to wait for Kent to find some free time and officially add it to the engine.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Roody_Yogurt wrote:(Personally, I do have a video-enhanced game idea, too, but I've been hiding behind the fact that video support was not completely there that I have not put a ton of thought into it.)
Agreed. And I would love to get to a place where the best Hugo interpreter does video, because it means that I could do a FMV game with a text parser, especially since storage requirements are not as terrible as they used to be.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote:In Hugor on the other hand I'm using GStreamer. It's actually fully working in Linux already, but I need to figure out how GStreamer interacts with Windows.
Would you like me to test this? I have been itching for a reason to make Linux the main operating system on my home computer. This might push me over.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I'll try and get a Linux executable up soon.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Here's the Linux build:

http://foss.aegean.gr/~realnc/hugor/tes ... ux.tar.bz2

Make sure the needed libraries are installed. On Ubuntu (I've tested on 13.04), these packages should be installed:

libsdl1.2debian
libqtgstreamerui-0.10-0
libqtgstreamerutils-0.10-0
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

If it doesn't run at all, start it from a terminal and see what error message you're getting there. That should tell us what libraries you're missing.

If everything is well, then you should hopefully get something that resembles this when running Future Boy:

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

In the previous build, there was a bug with videos being stretched to fill their entire area. I've uploaded a new build that fixes this. Videos now show in their original aspect ratio:

Frommomsbasement

Post by Frommomsbasement »

RealNC wrote:Here's the Linux build:

Make sure the needed libraries are installed. On Ubuntu (I've tested on 13.04), these packages should be installed:

libsdl1.2debian
libqtgstreamerui-0.10-0
libqtgstreamerutils-0.10-0
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

If it doesn't run at all, start it from a terminal and see what error message you're getting there. That should tell us what libraries you're missing.

If everything is well, then you should hopefully get something that resembles this when running Future Boy:

Wow, that's some cool work.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Realnc,

So, I was going to convert my upstairs computer to an Ubuntu one. I haven't done that yet.

So, I got a linode machine and I was going to use that to test it. I can't get a GUI installed.

So, I am back to clearing off the upstairs computer. But I will do this and give it a shot. Thanks for that build and I apologize for leaving you hanging for this long.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

No problem.

I'll upload a new build shortly. I'll also post it on int-fiction.org, so anyone who's interested over there can give it a few test runs.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

With the official Windows interpreter, if you close it while a movie is playing, it hangs in a spectacularly ugly fashion. Assuming that Hugor doesn't do that, it'll be a definite step up. I hope the Windows version works out.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Currently, Windows support would mean you have to install a 100MB runtime. Hugor is Linux-centric; for it to work on Windows and Mac, it needs to bring the Linux DLLs with it. And the 10MB Hugor.exe is already pushing it as it is, since it already includes a lot of stuff. In comparison, the Linux executable is barely 1MB big.

I'll need to find a way to trim the video DLL requirements down. I can't imagine people wanting to download a 100MB Hugo interpreter.