Hugor request/improvement - for RealNC

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I was taking another look at .cfg files lately because of something Robb is working on. I think values such as fullscreenwidth work great when somebody is setting values for their own computer, but it's something that's harder to gauge for a general release.

What I'm wondering is, could there be an option to shoot for a 4:3 mode window (something that calculates the width based on the available height... and in the rare cases where someone is playing on a vertical display, calculate the height based on the available width)? (I say "window" but I'm talking about fullscreen stuff here)

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:What I'm wondering is, could there be an option to shoot for a 4:3 mode window (something that calculates the width based on the available height... and in the rare cases where someone is playing on a vertical display, calculate the height based on the available width)?
That's a good idea. I'm putting that in, so that you can write:

Code: Select all

widthRatio = 4
heightRatio = 3[/quote]

Which will limit the fullscreen width if it exceeds a 4:3 ratio, but still respect it if it's smaller.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

EDIT POST PERMISSION OR RIOT!!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Ha, yeah, I just ran into the edit thing a few days ago, too. Glad you liked the idea!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

This is now in. In addition, the fullscreen width option is now treated as a percentage, not an absolute pixel value.

Windows version for testing:

http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/hugor/test ... 08-w32.zip

An example.cfg file is included. The relevant options compared to the previous version are:

Code: Select all

; Maximum display width in fullscreen mode. Can be between 10 and 100. The
; value represents a percentage. 100 means that the whole width of the screen
; is used. Only integral values are accepted.
;fullscreenWidth = 100

; These two values allow you to set an aspect ratio to limit the width of the
; game's output when in fullscreen mode. For a 4:3 ratio, you would set
; "widthRatio = 4" and "heightRatio = 3". Any ratio is possible, but the most
; common ones are 4:3, 5:4, 16:9 and 16:10. Use the one for which your game
; was designed for. Most games are created with a 4:3 ratio in mind. Using a
; modern widescreen monitor for those would result in extremely long lines of
; text, which is why this setting exists; it ensures that your game will use a
; 4:3 ratio even when running on a widescreen monitor.
;
; Note that if an aspect ratio is set, it will override the fullscreenWidth
; setting, if that setting would result in output that is too wide and would
; exceed the set aspect ratio. fullscreenWidth is still respected if it would
; not exceed the set aspect ratio.
;
; Setting either of these values to 0 disables aspect ratio correction and the
; game will always output to the entire screen.
;widthRatio = 4
;heightRatio = 3
Some bugs still exist. I'll get rid of them and then cut a release.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I can probably make you guys mods of this base, but I don't have post editing on in general because there's always been a flow of non-you-guys idiots effectively deleting their posts.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Yeah, percentages is probably a bit better than pixels. Knowing you're looking at the code again, Nikos, I'll try to remember other suggestions I've had.

One thing off the top of my head is, since the text in the scrollback window is proportional font anyway (throwing off any non-proportional type layout in mind), would it be possible to disregard the carriage returns due to screen width? (so the scrollback window always resizes properly to the current window size?)

I don't feel I'm describing it well, but I guess I'm looking for a glk-esque handling of the scrollback window without forcing glk-esque handling on the game itself.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

This would require modification of Kent's base code, so that a CR that was artificially inserted can be distinguished from an authored one. It would not be possible to tell whether a CR can safely be removed again or not otherwise.

I don't know exactly what's needed in order to achieve this. I'll take a closer look in the base code.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Cool. When you explain it like that, it sounds like it might be too tricky. Glad you're taking a look, though.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

The necessary base code changes are now in. Not much was required:

https://github.com/realnc/hugor/commit/ ... 45ae3b8de4

I hope this didn't break anything. It *shouldn't* break anything. I tested a few games and it seems to work as intended, but I'd be nice if other people also took a look at it:

http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/hugor/test ... 09-w32.zip

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I can probably make you guys mods of this base, but I don't have post editing on in general because there's always been a flow of non-you-guys idiots effectively deleting their posts.
A 5-minute edit window would also work.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

RealNC wrote:The necessary base code changes are now in. Not much was required:

https://github.com/realnc/hugor/commit/ ... 45ae3b8de4

I hope this didn't break anything. It *shouldn't* break anything. I tested a few games and it seems to work as intended, but I'd be nice if other people also took a look at it:

http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/hugor/test ... 09-w32.zip
Looks good so far! Now, I was kind of expecting scrollback behavior to also affect how transcript files are produced, as I'd like to see the same behavior there (so transcripts can easily be dropped into word processor programs for people who want to pretty-fy their transcripts). Would that be possible? Do you see a downside?

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Now, I was kind of expecting scrollback behavior to also affect how transcript files are produced, as I'd like to see the same behavior there (so transcripts can easily be dropped into word processor programs for people who want to pretty-fy their transcripts). Would that be possible? Do you see a downside?
The only downside is text files would have no linebreaks for people who don't care about copy&pasting into a word processor. "Normal" people ;-)

I'll take a look at it nonetheless. Maybe an option for it would be appropriate.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Robb, what's the time frame for this? I'm currently looking into supporting games with video (for Future Boy) on all platforms, but that needs a bit of time. Your games don't use video, so it might be best to ship them with a custom Hugor build that comes without video support if you don't want to wait for a proper 1.1 release.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

RealNC wrote:
Roody_Yogurt wrote:Now, I was kind of expecting scrollback behavior to also affect how transcript files are produced, as I'd like to see the same behavior there (so transcripts can easily be dropped into word processor programs for people who want to pretty-fy their transcripts). Would that be possible? Do you see a downside?
The only downside is text files would have no linebreaks for people who don't care about copy&pasting into a word processor. "Normal" people ;-)

I'll take a look at it nonetheless. Maybe an option for it would be appropriate.
Haha, "normal" people support is cool, too. I'd like the option!

And yay, looking forward to video support.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

RealNC wrote:Robb, what's the time frame for this? I'm currently looking into supporting games with video (for Future Boy) on all platforms, but that needs a bit of time. Your games don't use video, so it might be best to ship them with a custom Hugor build that comes without video support if you don't want to wait for a proper 1.1 release.
Yeah, no sweat - I think I will build it for the three platforms and upload new versions of Fallacy of Dawn & Cryptozookeeper to the archive(s). So ... wait, re-reading. Yes, I will do that thing that you just said. =)

Thanks!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

What I meant is that I will provide the builds (getting it right for distribution is tricky and differs from just building it for use on the machine it was built on.)

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Scriptfile writing is now handled by Hugor rather than the Hugo base code and word wrapping is now configurable in the config dialog.

As a side-effect of this, the encoding of the scriptfile should now be correct on all systems. Previously, the Hugo base code just assumed that everyone out there runs Windows and uses the Windows-1252 codepage. All text is now converted to the actual codepage used by the user's machine (this fixes broken curly quotes, em-dashes, and such.)

New build:

http://83.212.107.13/~realnc/hugor/test ... 11-w32.zip

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

One thing I forgot to mention:

Just in case you intent to use them in Cyberganked, context menus created by the game work now. This has been in Git for a while now, but it was not in 1.0.

(This was added for compatibility with Future Boy, as it makes heavy use of context menus.)

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Awesome! The world is a better place for both normal users and me!

And great news about context menus, too!