Fixing a few Hugo problems

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Fixing a few Hugo problems

Post by Tdarcos »

I'm working on The Librarian as best I can given my recent vision issues and working around some problems I'm having with Hugo. I thought I'd pass on a few tidbits - call it a status report - on what is happening.

1. Problem handling "double nested" player location.

In the game I'm having the player start in their bed, in their room. The opening scenario tells the story:

Your room, lying on the bed
You awaken in your bed after a night of activities which can only be most charitably described as "an orgy of illicit debauchery."
[More story details omitted.]

Anyway, since you're awake and not hung over, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to GET UP and out of bed, and start the routine tasks you have to do when you first get up in the morning.

So far, so good, and the opening is meant to show that the player is not necessarily a nice guy. So perhaps at some point I want to have the player hiding from - or running from - some shadier characters than him.

In front of Curtain's Mortuary
You are standing in front of a business with a sign on the door:
"Curtain's Mortuary
Rod Curtain, Prop."
At that moment your phone signals you that you received an urgent message. You read it.
"You have a problem. Rocco, the head of one of the local crime families, is looking for you (it has to do with what you were doIng last night and your "extracurrIcular activities" with his teenagd daughter.) Seems she took pictures and he saw them. Suggest you lay low or leave town for a while. Here's pix of Rocco's 3 enorcers,
Tom, Dick, and Harry.
Good luck, Ralph."
Now, the three men look somewhat familiar, except one looks very familliar. About a block away, Harry, one of
Rocco's enforcers you saw in the pictures, is coming this way. It might be a good idea to avoid him. Why don't
you GO IN here.

>go in

Mortuary front hall
From here, you can GO UP to the offices, WEST to the viewing room, DOWN to the loading dock, or EAST
to the embalning room.

Oh no! Harry is standin right in front of you, with his back to the window, looking at a large photo of you! If he
turns around, he can't miss you. I suggest you move, before he does. I suggest the embalming room, it has a
back door.

>e
Embalming room
I recommend you find a place to lie down and hide.
The enbalming table is here. Sitting on the enbalming table is a wooden coffin.

>get on table
I meant you needed to hide. While Harry might believe you died, (some of his boss' competitors might also want to see you) he probably won't check for a pulse, just shoot you. But harry is afraid of coffins. So if he doesn't see you, at worst he'd shoot the coffin. It's steel lined, so the wood captures the bullets but the lining would stop them.

Embalming room, on the enbalming table
Sitting on the enbalming table is a wooden coffin.

>get in coffin
You will have to get off of the enbalming table first.

>get off
You get off of the enbalming table.

>get in coffin
You get into the wooden coffin.

Embalming room, in a wooden coffin

>close coffin
Closed.

>get out
The wooden coffin is closed.

>look

Embalming room, in a wooden coffin

First, I can't get in the coffin from the table even when we're both on the table!
Second, the location listing only supports 1 deep. It can say "in room, on table" or "in room, in casket", but it doesn't correctly identify actual locaation as "in room, on table, in casket".

I know where one of the fixes has to go (but not yet exactly how) in routine DoEnter in verblib.h or replace DoEnter in Roodylib, thiis code in verblib:

Code: Select all

elseif player not in location
		VMessage(&DoGo, 3)       ! "You'll have to get up..."
	elseif object is openable, not open
Roodylib:

RlibMessage(&DoGo, 1)       ! "You'll have to get up..."
It's the second line in both cases. I'm thinking it might require ba block to handle this, probably the original check but with a test, something like:

elseif ((player not in location) and not (parent(player) = parent(object))/code]I\ll need to set up somr tests to see if this works correctly.

The other thing is [b]DescribePlace[/b], it has a local variable [b]place[/b] so that if the place to be described is not the location, it names the location, then the place. I suspect it nrrfs a place2, so if place's parent is not location it states location, placed in location, then secondary place within place (oh yeah, and correctly identify if in or on the second item (someone needing to put a table on top of a counter, then stand on the counter then stand on the table.

AQlso beed to make the coffin dark when closed. Also need to change error message when trying to exit a closed container, it should say that "you need to open it first."

So I have a few things to think about. Yes, I know some of the jokes are weak. Oh, and i will fix the misspellings; seeing them magnified here is easire to spot than when the game is playing.

I currently use the default run-time library. I wonder, does HugpR support increasing the font size?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Re: Fixing a few Hugo problems

Post by Tdarcos »

Sorry, slight error at end of previous message. This is the correction:

It's the second line in both cases. I'm thinking it might require a block to handle this, probably the original check but with a test, something like:

elseif ((player not in location) and not (parent(player) = parent(object))
I\ll need to set up somr tests to see if this works correctly.

The other thing is DescribePlace, it has a local variable place so that if the place to be described is not the location, it names the location, then the place. I suspect it nrrfs a place2, so if place's parent is not location it states location, placed in location, then secondary place within place (oh yeah, and correctly identify if in or on the second item (someone needing to put a table on top of a counter, then stand on the counter then stand on the table.

Also need to make the coffin dark when closed. Also need to change error message when trying to exit a closed container, it should say that "you need to open it first."

So I have a few things to think about. Yes, I know some of the jokes are weak. Oh, and i will fix the misspellings; seeing them magnified here is easier to spot than when the game is playing.

I currently use the default run-time library. I wonder, does HugpR support increasing the font size?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I tackled the coffin issue myself some years ago:

http://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com/2014/07 ... -code.html

In the end, as you'll see, I decided that it works best if you move the player to another room altogether when the coffin is closed.

As far as the getting-into-the-coffin-while-you're-on-the-table goes, sure, there are some workarounds you could do (like have the before routine for DoEnter check if the player is a child of the table and then move player to location and then return false so everything continues as one would expect). Probably makes more sense, though, to just say "There's no room on the table, with the coffin taking up so much space."

I hope you realize that the whole point of code segments like

are so people don't have to replace the whole routine. You can just replace your NewVMessages/NewRLibMessages routines to provide whatever text you want in the applicable scenarios. Also, the room description text you're looking for is not called by DoGo. The stuff in the main window is written by DescribePlace and the stuff in the status bar is written by PrintStatusLine.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I wish we had a different example besides putting Tdarcos in a coffin.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:30 am I wish we had a different example besides putting Tdarcos in a coffin.
I agree. In fact, I think we might even need a thread to discuss things that ended (or people who died) before I did. It's too bad we don't have a thread on this subject…

Okay, let's consider the following¹:
Your room, on the bed
 There is a dresser here. There is a wastebasket here. There is a bed here. Your Girlfriend is on the bed. She is wearing nothing.

>fool around with girlfriend

Oh, this gets her very excited!

>eat girlfriend

If she wasn't excited before (and she was) she's so wound up now she could tell time. I'll bet you could think of something you could do to help her "unwind," and that you would enjoy doing to her.

>screw girlfriend

She is on her back, you mount her, her legs are already spread wide, and you enter her. The smile on her face makes it clear she's very pleased. You start moving, and continue for several minutes until you get what you want from her and pump your load into her. The look on her face indicates she was very pleased with the encounter.

>look

Your room, on the bed, in your girlfriend
There is a dresser here. There is a wastebasket here. There is a bed here. Your Girlfriend is on the bed. She is wearing nothing. Inside her is some come.

> roll over

You get off your girlfriend.

>look

Your room, on the bed
  There is a dresser here. There is a wastebasket here. There is a bed here. Your Girlfriend is on the bed. She is wearing nothing. Inside her is some come.

>take shower with girlfriend

The two of you get up, take a shower together, and fool around a bit. You dry each other off, then get back into bed.

>look

Your room, on the bed
  There is a dresser here. There is a wastebasket here. There is a bed here. Your Girlfriend is on the bed. She is wearing nothing.

>eat girlfriend

She stops you. "Much as I enjoy that, I like it more if we kiss and do some touching and things first."

>fool around with girlfriend

Oh, this gets her very excited!

>eat girlfriend

If she wasn't excited before (and she was) she's so wound up now she could tell time. Since you've done this before, you know exactly what to do to help her "unwind. " So go for it tiger, and have your way with her!

>open dresser

Opened.
After you turned away from her, your girlfriend closed her legs.

>get condom

You pick up a wrapped condom.

>unwrap condom

Unwrapped.

>i

You are holding an unused, rolled-up condom and a condom wrapper.

>close drawer

Closed.

>throw wrapper in trash

You drop the wrapper in the wastebasket.

>put on condom

Making sure you squeeze the tip so no air is trapped inside, you unroll the condom onto your penis.

>fuck girlfriend

She is on her back, you mount her, spread her legs, and you enter her. The smile on her face makes it clear she's very pleased. You start moving, and continue for several minutes until you get what you want from her and pump your load into the condom. The look of shock on her face indicates she was not very pleased with the encounter. "Why did you use a condom? I like feeling when you come inside me. Please just fuck me bare from now on."

>look

Your room, on the bed, in your girlfriend
There is a dresser here. There is a wastebasket here. Inside the wastebasket is a condom wrapper. There is a bed here. Your Girlfriend is on the bed. She is wearing nothing. You are wearing a condom. Inside the condom is some come.

>remove condom

You need to get out of your girlfriend first.

> roll over

You get off your girlfriend.

>remove condom

You unroll the condom from your penis.

>i

You are holding a used, soiled condom.

At least, this is how I would want it to work.

So now everyone knowe the real reason I wanted to be able to ENTER something that was on the bed with the player, and show a second-level on/in description.

Article Statistics: Start Time 06:50, Completion Time 08:42, Duration 112 minutes.
- - - -
¹ The example is done off the top of my head, I just woke up, it's barely 7 on a Sunday Morning² and I don't want to spend an hour or so to write the code/objects, like I did for the coffin example.
² While writing this, Lionel Richie's Easy Like Sunday Morning popped in my head.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Well, I take it back. Your text-based sex simulator works better if it takes place in a coffin. ICJ, Roody, do what it takes to get this man on the right track. This is the game that will put parser-based games back on top in IFComp 2020!

pinback

Post by pinback »

This is the first thread on this BBS that I felt the urge to shower after I read it.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

You have an overwhelming urge to take a shower.

> TAKE SHOWER.

Sorry, you can't take that!

> SHOWER

First you'll need to ENTER the shower.

> ENTER

Did you mean enter (SHOWER) or enter (PAUL'S GIRLFRIEND)?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 pm I tackled the coffin issue myself some years ago:

http://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com/2014/07 ... -code.html

In the end, as you'll see, I decided that it works best if you move the player to another room altogether when the coffin is closed.
Actually I was going to say the coffin scenario was (actually a ruse) because I didn't want to mention the "real" reason for being able to enter something on a platform with the player, but seeing the example you gave offered me some ideas I might use. I'm probably going to include the mortuary scenario after all
Roody_Yogurt wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 pm Probably makes more sense, though, to just say "There's no room on the table, with the coffin taking up so much space."
For the reason I admitted and was gut-busting-funny parodied by Flack, not being able to enter the thing on the same platform as the player isn't an option.
Roody_Yogurt wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 pm I hope you realize that the whole point of code segments like

are so people don't have to replace the whole routine.
Roody, I want to apologize; chalk it off to my vision problems. I thought I quoted one line above, and one line below, the line of code I was referring to.

The line in question is line 11,425 in roodylib.h version 4.1.2 or in the stock hugolib.h by coincidence is the exact same line number. It is:

What I did was quote the line and the two lines below it. So instead of referring to the ELSEIF statement I reweferred to the message. Since what I need to change involves an elseif, I do need to replace doenter.
Roody_Yogurt wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 pm Also, the room description text you're looking for is not called by DoGo. The stuff in the main window is written by DescribePlace and the stuff in the status bar is written by PrintStatusLine.
I was aware of that.
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:59 pm The other thing is DescribePlace, it has a local variable place so that if the place to be described is not the location, it names the location, then the place. I suspect it nrrfs a place2, so if place's parent is not location it states location,
My comment might have been easy to miss, being in the middle of my message. So I know what I have to fix.

In the case of DoEnter I know exactly where, just not what. For DescribePlace I know exactly what, just not where.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:17 am > ENTER

Did you mean enter (SHOWER) or enter (PAUL'S GIRLFRIEND)?
Flack, when I was writing the article to 'fess up and admit what I was doing, I debated whether or not to put a line in. Then, for humor I put in " Inside her is some come." I even figured out how to get the parser to respond with that phrasing.

object come "come"
{
`noun "come"`
article "some"
in your_room
}

In non-testing mode it won't show up except for the two scenarios . I might reverse the results since the player won't be doing his girlfriend (whom it might be can be guessed if you remember the naame of the game) if he does the woman bare she's pissed (of course, the question being why she didn't notice he did not put one on.)

But I thought what I wrote was funny but yours was gut busting. You owe me for the cost of my hernia operation.

pinback

Post by pinback »

unsubscribe

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

pinback wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:36 pmunsubscribe
No shit. Our friend is breaking Hugo trying to make “come” a noun.

Sometimes, prototypes show our flaws. A “puzzle where you enter unix commands” seemed like a neat concept for my DPRK Hugo game, but the more Roody and I tinkered with it the more it just didn’t work. Rethink this one.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

CR: Halo, ovo je robot za pretplatu.
PL: Witam, jest to Subskrybuj bota
RU: Здравствуйте, это подписаться бот
EN: Hello, this be subscription bot.

CR: Primili smo vaše subacribe/odjava zahtjev.
PL: Otrzymaliśmy prośbę o subacribe/anulowanie subskrypcji.
RU: Мы получили ваш подписку / отписаться запрос.
EN: We having received your request to subscribe / unsubscribe.

CR: Čestitam! Zahtjev za razgledavanje za potpuno pretplatu na sve poruke je odobren.
PL: Gratulacje! Wniosek o wycieczkę, aby w pełni zasubskrybować wszystkie wiadomości zostały zatwierdzone.
RU: Поздравляю! Заявка на полное подписку на все сообщения была одобрена.
EN: You are to be congratulations! Requesting by you to subscribe to all messages has was approve.

CR: Ovaj softver je savršen i provjeren, i pronašao grešku besplatno. Ako želite stupiti u kontakt, naša adresa je "
PL: To oprogramowanie jest idealne i został sprawdzony, i znalazłem błąd darmo. Jeśli chcesz się skontaktować, nasz adres to "
RU: Это программное обеспечение является совершенным и был проверен, и нашли ошибки бесплатно. Если вы хотите связаться с нами, наш адрес
EN: This software has perfeck is been and check, and founded no error free. If you wish to contact is, our address us:

Prescion Softwear
144 najveći country Avenue svijeta.
Zagreb 67, Croatia

* Translation service by Bing Translate

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:47 am
No shit. Our friend is breaking Hugo trying to make “come” a noun.
Speaking of come, Jiz, my friend, it's clear you have never programmed in Hugo. The "noun" propery is used to define the object if the player wants to refer to the object. *Thhe "name" is just for display and is not parsed. I know, I tried it. This way, if the user types "take come" I get to display a nasty message which, here. decorum prohibit mentioning.

Further, that word already has legitimate uses as a noun. "When he plays craps he bets on the come line." or preceded with, "She spit out his".

There is also (approximately) this dialog from Thpmas Harris' book Silence of the Lambs"
Hannibal Lecter: Clarice, are you alright?
FB I Agent Clarice Starling" Rafael threw come on me!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:30 am Further, that word already has legitimate uses as a noun. "When he plays craps he bets on the come line."
In that case, it is an adjective, not a noun. Perhaps you need to start diagramming your sentences.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Guys, it's clear Jiz doesn't have the Hugo programming experience that Tdarcos does.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Anyhow, sorry, I've been meaning to post here for several days now just to acknowledge that no, I won't be helping with this thread. As much as I like helping with Hugo code (quick advice: instead of making the girlfriend a container, just use a "fucking" attribute and check for it accordingly), this whole scenario bothers me too much. I mean, it's not the content that bothers me, just the design. Paul, you are putting way too much effort into a "You can't do that." message. If anything, you should be making things work, like:
>WEAR RUBBER
You roll off your girlfriend first.

You put on the rubber.
Some people have some misguided notion that not being able to do anything the player wants to do is part of the appeal of text games. Paul, it really makes me wonder if you have played any text games written in the last 15 years that weren't written by Robb. As you are describing it, your game is not meant for people who like to play games, so please do not write it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:19 am I mean, it's not the content that bothers me, just the design. Paul, you are putting way too much effort into a "You can't do that." message. If anything, you should be making things work, like:
No, no, no, no, no. Again, I'm not trying to do anything with the message routine. I don't have a problem with the message routine.

What I have a problem with is I can't ENTER something that is on the same platform as me unless I get off the platform first. That was all. And the one line which is the "elseif code" is the exact spot where I have to make a change. For the condom issue I can, and would have, made a special before or after routine for that item if it came down to it.
Roody_Yogurt wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:19 am
>WEAR RUBBER
You roll off your girlfriend first.

You put on the rubber.
Some people have some misguided notion that not being able to do anything the player wants to do is part of the appeal of text games.
It was (at least partially) a joke, the guy waNts to get rid of the condom so bad he can' t even remember to get out of her, first!
Roody_Yogurt wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:19 am Paul, it really makes me wonder if you have played any text games written in the last 15 years that weren't written by Robb.
Drop the last 5 words of your sentence, and the answer is, "No." Same if you replaced those words with "that weren't written by you."
Roody_Yogurt wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:19 am As you are describing it, your game is not meant for people who like to play games, so please do not write it.
Jesus, what a buzzkill! You're judging a game I barely even wrote and basing it, not on the actual game itself, but on a scenario I made up in my head to show an example of what the game might look like.

I started this the first week in November, I have apent the last seven weeks.:
  1. Re-learning the language (I wrote my last game Tripkey about three years ago.)
  2. Figuring out the verbs that would be used for the program.
  3. Add grammar for the verbs not handled by verblib, verbstub and roodylib.
  4. Writing stub code for the verbs not handled by the built-in routines.
  5. Figure out how to use Roodylib (I had not used it on the games I wrote before.)
  6. Figure out how certain verbroutines do which things to know where or what I have to catch (like seting an attribute or chnging a property, pt adding a before or after routine and what I might have to replace (because it does not do what I need and I have to replace the routine to fix it.)
I shall definitely take your comments into heart, by including the following message:
"I'd like to thank Roody Yogurt for his strong encouragement that I not write this game."

Let me say a few things about what the game was intended to be about.
  1. I hadn't even thought of the use of a rubber after having used one.
  2. I have not played any of Robb's games.
  3. I simply wanted to write a game, and the condom thing was just something I threw in.
  4. The story of The Librarian is a story about a man who hears an announcement over the Radio that a local bank was doing a tie in with the Zenith Public Library. Open a checking sccount with $1,000 and bring a library book with you to show them, and they would credit your account with $300 (after hte account has been open 90 days, of course.)
  5. You discover you can't find your library card.
  6. Okay, you'll just apply for as duplicate. Only you can't find your driver's license.
  7. Scenario 1. Steal a book from the library, temporarily. May or may not work.
  8. Scenario 2. Burn down the library and in the resulting confusion, steal a book. Same issue as previous item.
  9. Scenario 3. Go get your license. Go to DMV, go through the fun of waiting in line, filling out forms, then waiting to be seen. May or may not require he have extra items for verification.
  10. Scenario 3A. Get driver's license, go back to library, get card, borrow book (this becomes the easiest scenario)
  11. Scenario 3B. Ger license, go back to library, apply for replacement card, discover you owe fines and a lost book fee. Do you have cash?
  12. Scenario 4. Blow up library to steal book instead of burning it down. Similar to scenario 2. Woe to you if you DROP the vial of nitroglycerine instead of PLACEing it on ground.
  13. Scenario 5. Locate one of your friends, get them to go to the library, then borrow a book for you.
  14. Flirt with librarian, ask her out, go by her place, seduce her, take her to bed and have sex, then ask her to give you a book temporarily. This is the only scenario where the sex incident would take place, and probably represents 1-5% of the game.
  15. Scenarui 6. Knock out the bookmobile driver, steal hia uniform and pick up books.
There may be other scenarios, some existing one might be used when one scenario is too difficult.

In fact, I'm going to add an EAST, MEDIUM< ans HARD MODE, each creating somewhat more difficult puzzles/obstacles along the way.

I did something like this in Tripkey. Two acts: First Act, get the Sentient Cottage Cheese to give you the tripkey, without blowing the nuclear reactor and making the game unwinnable.
Act two, once you get the Tripkey, you have to get to the exit. No problem, just find the exit token. Two choices:
* (1) meet the Casino Manager, (a man with so little patience with time wasters that if you bother him, he'll have you butchered and served as tomorrows fresh pork ribs) and givrhim something, whereupon if you go get him something he'll pay you. with the money, buy the exit pass.
*(2) Find the exit pass in the maze.