2020 Resolutions

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

2020 Resolutions

Post by pinback »

Here are mine, in a particular order:

1. 200 in 2020.

2. Clean in '20.

3. Create a nonduality Twitter account/website where I post one nonduality/meditation-related message per day.

4. Learn and apply a new marketable technological skill.

5. Develop something for IFCOMP 2020.

6. (Hidden Resolution #1)

7. (Hidden Resolution #2)

Many of these overlap and assist each other, so if I can stick to one, the chances of sticking to the others goes way up. Even the hidden ones.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

pinback

Re: 2020 Resolutions

Post by pinback »

Also, three of the seven (including one hidden one) involved NOT doing something, so if I just sit real still the whole year, boom, that's almost half of 'em knocked outta the park.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

May we ask why they are hidden resolutions?

And is there an unlock sequence we can google to reveal them?

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:27 am May we ask why they are hidden resolutions?
Because they are of private enough nature that I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing them in a public forum such as this.
And is there an unlock sequence we can google to reveal them?
$50. (Each.)

Flack

Post by Flack »

My first resolution of 2020 is to rewrite the Pinback apology generator.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:47 am Here are mine, in a particular order:
To quote Rocket J. Squirrel from Bulwinkle and Friends, "But that trick never works!" Every year, Pinback has these grandiose plans for stupendous New Year's resolutions, only to have them turn into, as James Taylor sang in Fire and Rain, "Sweet dreams and Flying Machines, in pieces on the ground."
pinback wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:56 am
AArdvark wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:27 am May we ask why they are hidden resolutions?
Because they are of private enough nature that I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing them in a public forum such as this.
Oh I know what they are. He wants to try tp talk his wife into doing the two sexual things it's hard to get a wife to do. One of them being the one a lot of guys like doing to women and some women actually like it done to them. The other one is something guys want done to them but their woman may be reticent and sometimes, as stated in the movie Whore, have to hire a prostitute to do it to him.
pinback wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:56 am
AArdvark wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:27 am And is there an unlock sequence we can google to reveal them?
$50. (Each.)
Because that's what he'd have to pay a hooker to do them!
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I apologize to Pinback in advance because I asked the leading questions that brought out The Commander's suppositions.

THE
NEED A SHOWER
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Hey Tdarcos, did you see my post about asking you to keep the sex stuff over at Caltrops?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

I like learning stuff and making money so could we possibly make the "Learn and apply a new marketable technological skill" thing a group project housed in its own dedicated JC thread? Admittedly if Tdarcos joined in we probably wouldn't be able to do COBOL, but surely there are other learning possibilities that would still be more or less new to all of us.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I'm adding a couple more:

6. Do better dental care and see a dentist. I suck at this.

7. See a doctor. I suck at this.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

bryanb wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:59 pm make the "Learn and apply a new marketable technological skill" thing a group project housed in its own dedicated JC thread?
If I was to recommend anything, it would be to learn Android Studio and Java. Now, there is actually a C++ compiler available for Android, but you still need to figure how to do screens/hraphics on Android anyway. There's an app called DCODER that provides an IDE on Androis along wth Free Pascal, C++ and one other I can't remember.
bryanb wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:59 pm Admittedly if Tdarcos joined in we probably wouldn't be able to do COBOL,
Will you get real? Nobody is doing Cobol except mainframe maintenance. Hell, even IBM's CICS transaction processing system supports C (and possibly C++) and Java in addition to Cobol and Assembler. Personally, the last time I wrote any Cobol was probably 1985.
bryanb wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:59 pmbut surely there are other learning possibilities that would still be more or less new to all of us.
Android studio+Java or learning how Docker containers work and how you use them. Or how to use Amazon Web Services to store and retrieve data blocks. Plus you can practice for free; Amazon gives a very generous quota of these services on a free account.

If doing that I'd recommend PHP as it's built into both IIS and Apache. And I'd add jQuery and there are a couple others to go along with that. Also an SQL Compatibility Layer library so your website can use any of the top databases: MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Access, Postgres, DB2, No SQL, and one or two others I can't remember.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Alright, been up for one hour so far, let's see how we're doing.

200 in 2020: Not yet 200 in 2020, but haven't eaten anything. Good start!
Clean in '20: Haven't had a drop of anything the whole morning!
Create a nonduality Twitter account/website where I post one nonduality/meditation-related message per day: Website ON, first post POSTED.
Learn and apply a new marketable technological skill. I set up WordPress to instantly update Twitter and Discord when I post something!
Develop something for IFCOMP 2020. No progress. I took ten minutes after I got up to think about something-- anything-- I could do that would be realistically completed in the time left, and also interesting/fun. No luck so far.
Do better dental care and see a dentist. I haven't brushed my teeth, flossed, OR gone to the dentist! :(
See a doctor. I have not seen a doctor.
(Hidden Resolution #1): This is about not doing something, and I haven't done it.
(Hidden Resolution #2): This is about doing something, and I haven't done it.

Overall, so far so good, I'd say! Let's see how the next hour goes.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Can ICJ make a new years resolution to allow editing on this base, because the above is all fucked up. "UMMM JUST PREVIEW BEF--" yeah, turn the goddamn thing on.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Off to a good start, I have confidence in you!

THE
CHEERLEADING
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

Welp, here we are at the end of day #1. I won't do this every day. Probably weekly for the first month, and then monthly. Or just quit two weeks from now when it all goes to shit, as Tdarcos predicted.

200 in 2020: The lingering holiday candy hurt me, but I hit the gym, so I figure it cancels out.

Clean in '20: Good to go. This is actually the easiest one until about a month goes by, and then ngghhghhghh.

Post a nonduality message: Done.

Learn and apply a new marketable technological skill: not bad. I figure if I spend 30 minutes a day trying/learning new stuff, eventually I'll know something.

Develop something for IFCOMP 2020: I have my Hugo development setup ready to go! I compiled the sample game! So I figure I'm halfway there already.

Do better dental care and see a dentist: I used my new Sonic Fusion Waterpik Thing I got for Christmas. Good shit!

See a doctor: I have not seen a doctor.

(Hidden Resolution #1): This is about not doing something, and I haven't done it. (And it's not that.) :)
(Hidden Resolution #2): This is about doing something, and I haven't done it. :(

See you next week.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Okay, can I get in on this? I am making an exception. I was talking to Flack and we're like, we have the same goddamn resolutions every year.

So for ONE year, my resolution is gonna be - clean the house more to make my wife happy.

No, I don't think that this is the root of all problems and evil, but fuck it. Just to mix things up for one year. I've been doing bulletin boards and resolution lists since 1990. We're MIXING IT UP for one (1) year!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:08 am Alright, been up for one hour so far, let's see how we're doing.
59:55 wasted; I'll give you the first five seconds. Some people take a long time to wake up.
pinback wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:08 am Develop something for IFCOMP 2020. No progress. I took ten minutes after I got up to think about something-- anything-- I could do that would be realistically completed in the time left, and also interesting/fun. No luck so far.
So get started! Presuming you will use Hugo:
  1. Install Hugo if you haven't.
  2. Go to C:\USERS and in addition to your 'Ben' or 'Pinback' directory (or whatever username you use to login), create a Public directory then create a Hugo subdirectory (or create a Hugo subdirectory in Documents or wherever you create project folders)
  3. Create a Hugolib directory under the above Hugo directory, and copy the .hug, .h and .g files from the Hugo system. This becomes the pristine source files in case you accidentally change them in your game later.
  4. Create a RoodyLib directory under the Hugo directory, download and unzip the Roodylib sources if you're going to use them in your game. This also becomes the pristine source files in case you accidentally change them in your game later.
  5. Copy HEWin, HCWin and HC to the Hugo directory above
  6. Copy Nikos' Hugor to the above Hugo directory if you use it (if so, you don't need to copy HEWin)
This gets you the base setup for constructing games. Now, in
Documents (or wherever you put source projects) create a directory for the new game. Let's call the game "The Firefighter" and the directory will be "firefighter."
  1. [create firefighter subdirectory in Documents (or wherever you put source projects)
  2. Copy into it the hugolib .hug, .h, .g files and the (if used) Roodylib .hug, .h and .g files
  3. If using Roodylib you want to copy all the files from its shells\new subdirectory. Rename rdyshell.hug to ff.hug. This becomes the base program file for The Firefighter game.
  4. If not using Roodylib, rename SHELL.HUG to ff.hug fot the reason stated in previous item.
  5. Place your name and The Firefighter where appropriate.
  6. Save and compile. If done correctly, you have a stub game that compiles and executes. It doesn't allow you to do antrhing, but that's where your skills as a ptogrammer, writer and game designer are for!

I am unable to continue, severe blur damage I am currently unable to compensate for, and my eyes are tired.

I was finished anyway.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Approaching the end of week two, let's see how we're doing:

1. 200 in 2020: Slightly ahead of schedule (on-schedule would be 1 pound per week.)
2. Clean in '20: Yup.
3. Create a nonduality Twitter account/website where I post one nonduality/meditation-related message per day: Yup.
4. Learn and apply a new marketable technological skill: Nothing yet.
5. Develop something for IFCOMP 2020: Absolutely nothing yet!
6. Do better dental care and see a dentist: Good dental care, no dentist yet.
7. See a doctor: Nothing scheduled yet.
8. (Hidden Resolution #1): Not yet.
9. (Hidden Resolution #2): So far so good. This one I will actually reveal shortly, as part of the 2020 Pinback MVP Campaign, so stay tuned.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Quick update:

1. 200 in 2020: "2 under par". I love that scoring system. Par is one pound per week. We've got two birdies in a row.

2. Clean in '20: Yes, despite all of the booze talk on this website.

3. Create a website where I post one nonduality/meditation-related message per day: Yup. This is hard. I dunno if I have 365 days worth of things to post about here. I am always in a state of thinking I have two or three more days of stuff, and then I'll run out. So, I think I have two or three more days of stuff, and then I'll run out.

4. Learn and apply a new marketable technological skill: Nothing yet.

5. Develop something for IFCOMP 2020: I know exactly what the game is going to be about. I know the beginning, the end, and most of the middle. Now I just have to write it. This means I'm 1% done.

6. Do better dental care and see a dentist: Good dental care, no dentist yet.

7. See a doctor: Nothing scheduled yet.

8. (Hidden Resolution #1): Not yet.

9. (Hidden Resolution #2): So far so good. Reveal coming this week. Stay tuned!

I'll do one more update at the end of the month, and then I'll keep these to just monthly updates, to keep me honest. Thanks for reading!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

You don't want to fuck around when it comes to dental health. Implants, for example, require donor (cadaver) bone to anchor the posts into your jaw.