Let's Save & Preserve ACK!

Chris H.'s Ultima / ACS-style game development system!

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Flack

Re: Let's Save & Preserve ACK!

Post by Flack »

Well, they do occasionally e-meet.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm
Tdarcos wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:50 am You found a girl in Pakistan to play ACK games? I just want to make sure I understand. Because that is amazing.
That's not what he said, which was:
RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:16 am Anyway... I've been talking with the fine Madam
So, actually he found a Pakistani hooker and is paying her to play ACK games. Which makes sense, she's probably done other similarly disgusting things for money!
You'd say Retro's a pal, right? One of your online e-buddies?
It was a play on her actual name, which is Maham. Funny, right? RIGHT?!
Flack wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:10 pm Well, they do occasionally e-meet.
Who doesn't give a round to a bit of the ol' e-meat reach around?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Update: everything is set to go except for TWO things I can't really deal with right now.

1. Somehow my quota in Google Drive jumped from 44% used to 96% of my 100GB. Need to figure out what the blimey hell hole is eating up all my space, though the files should be small enough that it won't matter.

2. I'm honestly dreading going through every post again and noting usernames to PM. Doing a relatively simple pull through for dead links, references to files, etc. took me I think around two hours of mindless drudge work. Need to rethink this or get up the gumption to take the bullet in the brain and lay over dead in a pool of my own blood.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm Need to rethink this or get up the gumption to take the bullet in the brain and lay over dead in a pool of my own blood.
Could we possibly take a month off from making suicide threats? I think that would be good for everyone's mental health. Besides, ACK is all about life: embracing life, exploring life, encountering life, and extinguishing evil life. There's no suiciding in ACKball!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I'm a zombie, didn't you know that?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Well, I like you better than that song by the Crapberries if that means anything!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

First Adventure Creation Kit Long Play from the fabulous Maham - Brigands!

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

bryanb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:33 amHave you thought of an official project/website name yet? I was thinking ACK Attack, Admiral ACKbar, or Yakety ACK might be good choices, but I suppose those might not be the best way to endear yourself to the community.
Bryan, I owe you an apology as I was being a truly dismissive jerk in undercutting your motivation and insight into needing an actual website. What I'm thinking is to create a GitHub repository of the source code, games, misc. documents, etc. and you could create a website on top of that? (GitHub let's you create full featured (static though) websites on top of your repository.)

Would this be something you'd still be interested in doing for the project?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:10 pmAny thoughts on where it all went wrong?
I'm fine with a big Ol' NO! but is there the chance to do a blast at forum members to solicit files and stories for this effort, ICJ? Putting in several hours to cobble together the names of everyone that ever posted in the ACK forum has been a large obstacle in me moving ahead with what we're trying to achieve.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

RetroRomper wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:11 pm Bryan, I owe you an apology as I was being a truly dismissive jerk in undercutting your motivation and insight into needing an actual website. What I'm thinking is to create a GitHub repository of the source code, games, misc. documents, etc. and you could create a website on top of that? (GitHub let's you create full featured (static though) websites on top of your repository.)

Would this be something you'd still be interested in doing for the project?
Sure, I'd be happy to help out. My original idea was to just to setup something simple on Neocities as I was planning to invite everyone to create a retro, Geocities style homepage as a board project in 2021. I'm also planning to create a Trotting Krips supplemental site on Neocities to host some experimental content that doesn't quite meet the high standards of the mothership. Using GitHub Pages for the ACK site sounds like a solid idea. What would you like to see on the site? Download links, screenshots, and reviews (probably short reviews in comparison to RFTK) are musts in my view.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

I really think that Retro should start the archiving and Bryan can build a website that links to those publicly-available links. Anyone really hate that idea? Seems like you get somewhat reliable artifact hosting and the ability to present those blobs however you want. The upside is anyone can make as many websites as they want to that GitHub-hosted backend until Microsoft finally destroys GitHub, which lets be honest, is going to be like 2022?

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

The Happiness Engine is making a lot of sense here. The thought did cross my mind that GitHub Pages might not be around for the long haul even if Microsoft doesn't annihilate GitHub as a whole. It's a service that's somewhat tangential to the main purpose of GitHub, and Microsoft does have an unfortunate history of destroying user-generated content (RIP Windows Live Spaces).

In the long run, having multiple ACK-related online destinations can only be a good thing if our goal is truly to save and preserve this great game development system. I'm assuming Flack will end up creating his own ACK site no matter what we do because of the way he has been systematically alienated from the project from the very beginning. With his site, my site, Maham's videos (which I admittedly haven't watched), and Retro's GitHub repository, we have the start of a fairly respectable online universe on our hands.

This is going to be BIG. I think?

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

[/quote]
The Happiness Engine wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 pm I really think that Retro should start the archiving and Bryan can build a website that links to those publicly-available links. Anyone really hate that idea?
Sounds fine to me, especially as everything will be hosted on the GitHub repository. Maham is hard at work creating long play videos and writing up reviews / blurbs / synopsis for each ACK Adventure she is playing as well, so full representation will be available.

The Happiness Engine wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 pmThe upside is anyone can make as many websites as they want to that GitHub-hosted backend until Microsoft finally destroys GitHub, which lets be honest, is going to be like 2022?
bryanb wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:38 pm The thought did cross my mind that GitHub Pages might not be around for the long haul even if Microsoft doesn't annihilate GitHub as a whole.
There isn't much to destroy nor depreciate as the HTML and site files are available as part of the repository itself. If we're truly paranoid, download the repo as the ACK contents themselves (of everything, not just the website) will be 99.9999% static once collected.

Not a huge effort to keep a full backup around.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

If we're TRULY paranoid, mirror the GitHub to GitLab (OOOO SHIT SON!) they can't both shutdown the same day without notice right?

...right?

(I mirror all my pictures on my Linode so if both disks in my raid1 explode together I have a copy somewhere and vice-versa.)

I think a de-centralized and replicated system offers the best chance for historical archives. I mean, it worked for books?

Flack

Post by Flack »

RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:43 pm I composited a nice gif for when Tdarcos out lives his NAS without having sent it to Flack (who will ignore all of my requests for ACK files anyway. Fuck you, Flack)
Here's a list of everyone who has ever posted in the Adventure Creation Kit forum.

8bitweapon
AArdvark
Admiral Ackguh
ags guy
andrea38
arioch8
aron123
Astral Projection Garth
baf
Biffsnot
Biffsnot oO
Billy Mays
Blacklight
BlueTemplar
bruce
Bruteman
bryanb
carrost
ChainGangGuy
Chris H
Chris H.
Chris...
col.schickn
DanElmaleh
Daza
Disc Master I
Doctor HAAX
elvisT
Elzair
Equipmentshop Poltergeist
Flack
foody
fstm20
Garth
Garth be Nimble
Garth Frustrated
Garth lurker
Garth Lurking
Garth Maptastic!
Garth Sierpinski
Garth the Cartographer
Garth's Equipment Shop
GB
GeraldJ880
Heather Harrison
Ice Cream Jonsey
ICJ
ishtenos
Jack Straw
JeepersCreepers
Jizaboz
jjsonick
JJSonick-Guest
Joe.Bonk
Joe__Bonk
Joe_Bonk
Joe_Bonk_guesting
JoeB.
Joebankh
joebokn
Joeboncked
joebonk
JoeBonked
JoeBonkedAgain
joebonkk
JoeBonkr
joebonkt
jossiejojo
jupider
kaelenX
Keighn
Khelebran
lexxaus
McDeath
me too
metoo
mobgamegraph
Mr Goofy
msa
msallen
Myrmidon
Nihil Vulture
NihilVulture
Oldschoolgamer
pinback
plasticrabbit
qrl
qrleon
QuickyGarth
R E A L I T Y C H E C K
RealNC
Reiver
Rejor
RetroRomper
rld
Romschduh
Roody_Yogurt
RWS
saintlupus
Sargh
SaxxonPike
Sca
scaliper
SentientBastardSword
ShadowGarth
Tdarcos
The Happiness Engine
The REturn of the Garth
Toolazytologin
Totoro
triplefox
varyar
Wannabe Game Maker
xboxown
zork2
ZXL
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Oh yeah, I forgot! I'm doing shit for this project until Retro apologizes to Flack. So I'm out.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Paul Robinson

Post by Paul Robinson »

Flack wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:10 am
RetroRomper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:43 pm I composited a nice gif for when Tdarcos out lives his NAS without having sent it to Flack (who will ignore all of my requests for ACK files anyway. Fuck you, Flack)
Here's a list of everyone who has ever posted in the Adventure Creation Kit forum.

8bitweapon
[Circa 50,000 user names deleted]
NihilVulture
Oldschoolgamer
pinback
plasticrabbit
[Circa 500 more deleted]
ShadowGarth
Tdarcos
The Happiness Engine
The REturn of the Garth
[About another 1,000 deleted]
ZXL
Since this thread has been super busy I figure I should include myself. I guess I never had an emergency in this base, which is usually why I use this alter ego.

Oh, wait, my Ficticious name registration for Tansin A. Darcos expired last year, that means this isn't my fake name, it's my real one! Oh jeez, I'm having an existential crisis!

I guess that does make this a real emergency.

Who am I, anyway?
While there is time
Let's go out and feel everything!
- Steve Winwood, The Finer Things

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You're a guy that doesn't owe an apology to Flack, for starters.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Flack wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:10 am
My first impulse is to read any and all text messages as aggressive and condescending, making it difficult to properly respond to anything really. Thank you for gathering the names and I'm sorry for directing any form of abuse toward you.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Hey Retro, is the repo in any condition to be looked at by outside eyes just yet? I'm about to start work on my little site and would like to make sure I have all the games that you do before we get the big Paul Haul.