2020 Resolutions

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays

Re: 2020 Resolutions

Post by Billy Mays »

As a game concept this is very good, at least a 8/10. The problem with how it is framed now is Larry Mahoney is a total piece of shit:
pinback wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:59 pmand also to this generally decent guy who just made the worst decision and worst mistake possible
He was a habitual drunk driver with a prior conviction that was driving that night at 2 and a half times the limit. A generally decent guy wouldn't go out drunk driving because oh shit they could end up incinerating a bus full of children, a generally decent guy after his first conviction would be relieved they didn't kill anybody and learn from the mistake. The piece of shit won't even discuss the incident even after his slap on the wrist by the courts punishment and the begging of the handful of survivors. He just wants to be "left alone", what a self centered and remorseless piece of shit.

bryanb wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:15 pmLarry Mahoney never decided to ram the bus.
I'd say getting routinely blackout drunk and speeding the wrong way down highways counts as making a decision.

As a suggestion, you should write Mahoney as a monster whose decisions only lead him down the path he took and the school bus of children who no matter what decisions they make at the park, on the bus, getting ready for the day, or leaving ends them up in the path of that monster. It would tackle two subjects you enjoy: making fun of rednecks and nihilism.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

As far as the law is concerned, the truth is an absolute defense to accusations of libel. If you only say things backed up by facts, the court transcript if available, appeals court decision, newspaper reports, you're on safe ground. Anything stated by a witness in a court case is "privileged," meaning it's legal to repeat what they said even if untrue. So is anything the accused has stated themselves.

Also, since the events are a matter of public record repeating them is also legal, including stating his name. Of course, I am not a lawyer, so his isn't legal advice. For some advice on the subject, Nolo Press has an article, Privileges and Defenses in Defamation Cases.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

pinback

Post by pinback »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:20 am As a suggestion, you should write Mahoney as a monster
I mean, I already said that the name of the game figuratively refers to Mahoney. What more do you want from me?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:20 am piece of shit won't even discuss the incident even after his slap on the wrist by the courts punishment and the begging of the handful of survivors. He just wants to be "left alone", what a self centered and remorseless piece of shit.
Waitasec. I just googled his name. He talked about it in depth before his conviction. After getting out of prison he has not wanted to comment on it.

The article I read said that the surviving relatives want the guy to run around the country preaching the evils of drunken driving. This isn't someone who is clamming up about it and specifically saying nothing and torturing victims like one of many serial killers over the years.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:16 am
Billy Mays wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:20 am As a suggestion, you should write Mahoney as a monster
I mean, I already said that the name of the game figuratively refers to Mahoney. What more do you want from me?
Ok, I'm going to give you this one, maybe I just got a little too worked up there.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:25 am
Billy Mays wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:20 am piece of shit won't even discuss the incident even after his slap on the wrist by the courts punishment and the begging of the handful of survivors. He just wants to be "left alone", what a self centered and remorseless piece of shit.
Waitasec. I just googled his name. He talked about it in depth before his conviction. After getting out of prison he has not wanted to comment on it.
Yeah, they wanted to give him the chair over it and they should have. "Oh, boo hoo hoo, something something something, don't electrocute me, sob sob".
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:25 amThe article I read said that the surviving relatives want the guy to run around the country preaching the evils of drunken driving.
Too much to ask I guess, I mean he did just murder 27 children and human candled the survivors but I guess making some speeches and eating free donuts was just too unreasonable of a request from the parents who will never get to talk to their children ever again.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Guy says it all when it happens. Answers every question. Gives all the info he has. He goes to prison, is apparently a model citizen so he gets out early. Now you're mad that for the rest of his life he can't be made an example of by others. Like the guy didn't think about this tragedy every single moment of his life while he was in there. Maybe the survivors should call him up Friday night to see if he can help them move on Saturday.

Is there anything a drunk driver can do to redeem himself in your eyes? Aside from running for President in 2000 and 2004?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am Guy says it all when it happens. Answers every question. Gives all the info he has. He goes to prison, is apparently a model citizen so he gets out early. Now you're mad that for the rest of his life he can't be made an example of by others. Like the guy didn't think about this tragedy every single moment of his life while he was in there. Maybe the survivors should call him up Friday night to see if he can help them move on Saturday.
What kind of sicko defends a child murderer? He did less than 4 and a half months per child he murdered. What kind of sicko thinks 4 and a half months is reasonable punishment for murdering a child?
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 amIs there anything a drunk driver can do to redeem himself in your eyes?
Maybe call a cab the next time so that they don't end up incinerating a bus full of children? I don't know though, that may be too much to ask given this crowd. Calling a cab and all.
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 amAside from running for President in 2000 and 2004?
W was one of the worst Presidents in US history, possibly thee worst, I never supported him. I know this probably blew some minds here, not blindly voting down the party line regardless of what sort of monster you're endorsing, but some people actually do that: vote based on merit rather than party affiliation.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I feel like this ridiculous discussion should at least net me a few votes in the 2020 IFCOMP. Hey, this thread is as much an IF game as any random Twine entry. OHHHhhhh shit!

Billy, all of your opinions are terrible. We're laughing at the "superior intellect".

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:33 pmBilly, all of your opinions are terrible. We're laughing at the "superior intellect".
Well, I have to thank you for your honesty here and saving me the humiliation of writing about my Eisenhower opinion.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am Is there anything a drunk driver can do to redeem himself in your eyes? Aside from running for President in 2000 and 2004?
Wait a minute, I didn't think it was Bush who was in a drunk driving accident, I thought it was his wife Laura who killed someone in a drunk driving accident.
Evil cannot create anything new
They can only corrupt and ruin
What good forces have invented or made.
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Tdarcos wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:46 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am Is there anything a drunk driver can do to redeem himself in your eyes? Aside from running for President in 2000 and 2004?
Wait a minute, I didn't think it was Bush who was in a drunk driving accident, I thought it was his wife Laura who killed someone in a drunk driving accident.
Laura killed someone while running a stop sign, W got a dui in a separate incident.

pinback

Post by pinback »

pinback wrote: (Hidden Resolution #1): Grade: Not yet.
Grade: DONE. ;)

Ice Cream Jonsey

How is your knee feeling?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:41 pm How is your knee feeling?
Not 100%, but I'm starting to suspect it'll never be 100% again. I'm walking without crutches by this point, while I do experience some aches and pains, it's generally in the morning.

Won't be running any marathons any time soon, but I hadn't run any before, so not a great loss.

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:41 pm
pinback wrote: (Hidden Resolution #1): Grade: Not yet.
Grade: DONE. ;)
Wasn't it just a temp ban?
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Now it has been 2 years since I have smoked a stupid cigarette!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Billy Mays wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:54 amregardless of what sort of monster you're endorsing, but some people actually do that: vote based on merit rather than party affiliation.
Trumpster said whaaaaat???

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Casual Observer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:36 am
Billy Mays wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:54 amregardless of what sort of monster you're endorsing, but some people actually do that: vote based on merit rather than party affiliation.
Trumpster said whaaaaat???
Surprise. More people do not vote straight ticket than you probably would like to think about.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

In the coming weeks, we will be doing a retrospective/post-mortem on the 2020 Resolutions, and then presenting the new ones for 2021.

Stay tuned, it's sure to be as exciting as you would imagine a list of resolutions would be!