How often do you refund games?

The Future of Radio begins now.

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

I would never refund a game for any reason.
No votes
I have never refunded a game, but would do so if it was legitimately terrible or an obvious ripoff.
44%
I have refunded games, but only when they were legitimately terrible or an obvious ripoff.
11%
I've refunded several games, when I decided I wouldn't like 'em enough to keep playing past the refund window.
11%
I refund games regularly, sort of a "try-before-you-buy" kinda thing.
No votes
I "buy" games primarily for the joy of refunding them. Oh, how I love it!
No votes
OTHER?!?!?!! (Explain below!)
33%

Total votes: 9

pinback

Post by pinback »

(On Steam, Epic, or any other service that allows it.)

Let's HASH THIS OUT.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Re: How often do you refund games?

Post by Tdarcos »

One time I asked for a refund immediately after ordering a game on Steam because I bought it wrong, I missed using the order code and either paid more or would not ge an extra bonus game. They grudgingly agreed to refund the order (had they not, I"d have filed a chargeback on my credit card). Then I re—ordered the correct item.

— — — —
Sent from a mobile tablet
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I picked "I have never refunded a game, but would do so if it was legitimately terrible or an obvious ripoff."

And now I see I picked the wrong thing, because I HAVE refunded ripoffs. So I picked the wrong item. God, this software. THANKS RETERO.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I refunded two games. The reason was that they ran like crap even when meeting (actually exceeding) the recommended system requirements. "No Man's Sky" and "PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:13 pm I refunded two games. The reason was that they ran like crap even when meeting (actually exceeding) the recommended system requirements. "No Man's Sky" and "PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS."
Now see, that is a damn good reason.

Other games a lot of people rushed to return (cough Cyberpunk) that did not either have realistic platforms or expectations. “It runs like dogshit on PS4!” And “My AMD bs that is barely supported crashes!”. The game has a lot of issues and was rushed.. but performance is fine if you have the specs (which ain’t even that damn high unless you want 4K res with RTX or some other insanity)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I've never returned a game but there arent any titles worth returning. All the PS3 games are around ten bucks nowadays and everything else has been warezed. The only game Ive ever considered returning was the Pac Man cart for the Atari 2600 that cost forty dollars, after I stood in line for an hour to get it. As soon as it got home and shoved into the console I realized I was ripped off.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:14 am The only game Ive ever considered returning was the Pac Man cart for the Atari 2600 that cost forty dollars, after I stood in line for an hour to get it. As soon as it got home and shoved into the console I realized I was ripped off.
I guess you had...

Damn, I forgot this base does not auto—translate YouTube links imto inline videos.

— — — —
Sent from a mobile tablet
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:14 am I've never returned a game but there arent any titles worth returning. All the PS3 games are around ten bucks nowadays and everything else has been warezed. The only game Ive ever considered returning was the Pac Man cart for the Atari 2600 that cost forty dollars, after I stood in line for an hour to get it. As soon as it got home and shoved into the console I realized I was ripped off.
Oh man did you get burned haha. Crappy ass port.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:56 am Other games a lot of people rushed to return (cough Cyberpunk) that did not either have realistic platforms or expectations. “It runs like dogshit on PS4!” And “My AMD bs that is barely supported crashes!”. The game has a lot of issues and was rushed.. but performance is fine if you have the specs (which ain’t even that damn high unless you want 4K res with RTX or some other insanity)
The thing is, right now, even requiring a mid-range setup is too high. GPUs have trippled in price. A nice, mid-range $250-$300 GPU cannot be found for under $600-$800 now. Obviously that's the fault of the developer, but still. It's the reality we live in right now.

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:14 am I've never returned a game but there arent any titles worth returning. All the PS3 games are around ten bucks nowadays and everything else has been warezed.
I think ICJ is more upset about me refunding games than you stealing them.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:55 am
AArdvark wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:14 am I've never returned a game but there arent any titles worth returning. All the PS3 games are around ten bucks nowadays and everything else has been warezed.
I think ICJ is more upset about me refunding games than you stealing them.
Stealing at retail is victimless.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

RealNC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:00 am
Jizaboz wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:56 am Other games a lot of people rushed to return (cough Cyberpunk) that did not either have realistic platforms or expectations. “It runs like dogshit on PS4!” And “My AMD bs that is barely supported crashes!”. The game has a lot of issues and was rushed.. but performance is fine if you have the specs (which ain’t even that damn high unless you want 4K res with RTX or some other insanity)
The thing is, right now, even requiring a mid-range setup is too high. GPUs have trippled in price. A nice, mid-range $250-$300 GPU cannot be found for under $600-$800 now. Obviously that's the fault of the developer, but still. It's the reality we live in right now.
Hm only newest though right? Like RTX anything these days is hard to acquire and expensive as fuck. I had no problem getting an optimized gtx 1660 like half a year ago for 300$ Is it really getting that crazy lately? While mining gets blamed usually for this, I still can’t just go pick up a PS5.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:23 pm Hm only newest though right?
Nope. All GPUs, old and new. For example, here's the lower-range 1060, which used to be the cheap choice:

https://geizhals.eu/?fs=gtx+1060

Mid-range cards, which you need to play modern games and get half-decent performance, now cost 800-1000€. Upper-range cards go for 1500€, higher-end ones are in the 1500-2000€ range, and the top-end models usually go for 2000€-4000€.

It's just insanity. You cannot really upgrade your GPU right now. There's too much demand and very little supply. The new lower-to-mid-range GPU from nvidia for example, the 3060, was released a couple days ago. You cannot buy it. You couldn't even buy it right at the moment they released it. Scalpers use bots to buy all available stock and they now resell it on amazon or ebay for triple the price.

It's all fucked up.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Other: I once requested a refund from the good folks at Steam and was given a resounding "NO," so maybe that chutes and ladders me back down to the "I have never refunded a game, but would do so if it was legitimately terrible or an obvious ripoff" poll option.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:16 am It's just insanity. You cannot really upgrade your GPU right now... You cannot buy it. You couldn't even buy it right at the moment they released it. Scalpers use bots to buy all available stock and they now resell it on amazon or ebay for triple the price.
The problem isn't people wanting to get better graphics performance. It's that graphics cards have GPUs, small specialized processors designed to do computations for drawing polygons used in drawing images. The card might have hundreds of GPUs on it, which can all be used in parallel to provide improved graphics performance. They can also be used to simultaneously do hundreds or thousands of calculations used in cryptographic computation, which makes it useful in blockchain operations, e.g. mining cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and Etherium.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RealNC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:16 am
Jizaboz wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:23 pm Hm only newest though right?
Nope. All GPUs, old and new. For example, here's the lower-range 1060, which used to be the cheap choice:

https://geizhals.eu/?fs=gtx+1060

Mid-range cards, which you need to play modern games and get half-decent performance, now cost 800-1000€. Upper-range cards go for 1500€, higher-end ones are in the 1500-2000€ range, and the top-end models usually go for 2000€-4000€.

It's just insanity. You cannot really upgrade your GPU right now. There's too much demand and very little supply. The new lower-to-mid-range GPU from nvidia for example, the 3060, was released a couple days ago. You cannot buy it. You couldn't even buy it right at the moment they released it. Scalpers use bots to buy all available stock and they now resell it on amazon or ebay for triple the price.

It's all fucked up.
I gave my 1060 to a friend in exchange for an older mobi, CPU, RAM and 4 video cards. I see now it was a fair trade!

I paid a scalper over Amazon for my 3070. Sucks, but like you said, the cards aren't out there.