Slave to the Grind (2018)

Movies & Sex

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Slave to the Grind (2018)

Post by Flack »

In the 1980s I found myself going down the rabbit hole and exploring increasingly heavier music. I started with all the normal MTV bands... Motley Crue, Ratt, Twisted Sister, and so on. Those bands led me to Anthrax and Metallica and Slayer and Megadeth. One day, a kid at school said, "you gotta listen to this" and gave me a copy of Napalm Death's Scum, released in 1987. I don't know if the term "grindcore" had been invented yet, but I knew one thing: this music was terrible.

Slave to the Grind is an all-encompassing look at the grindcore genre, starting with early bands like Terrorizer and Napalm Death and going through Brutal Truth, Nasum, Carcass, and others. It also covers the band AxCx (click for the band's actual name), one of the most polarizing grindcore bands ever (with songs like "Hitler was a Sensitive Man", "You're Pregnant so I Kicked You in the Stomach", and the classic "Ha Ha Halocaust").

Two hours is enough time to cover the complete history of grindcore music. The documentary covers the foundation of grindcore (the "blast beat"), the early bands, the bands they split into, and the bands they eventually influenced. All the different variants of grindcore, from gorecore (where people cover themselves with fake blood) to noisecore (bands that have to discernable song structure or plan before walking out on stage).

I enjoy documentaries about music and bands, and enjoyed Slave to the Grind. I still think Napalm Death's Scum is fairly unlistenable, but at least I can now appreciate it for what it is.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Re: Slave to the Grind (2018)

Post by Jizaboz »

I'm going to have to watch that documentary. I never really got into Napalm Death either. I didn't "get it" I guess. And is it just me or is he yelling a lot less words than are being printed on the screen? lol

The only band I can think of that I can tolerate once in a while that has this sort of grindcore sound is Six Feet Under.. but even that is not something I would listen to every week, much less every day.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Six Feet Under is just death metal, and sounds like a heavenly lullaby compared to some of the bands in that grindcore documentary.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Flack wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:22 am Six Feet Under is just death metal, and sounds like a heavenly lullaby compared to some of the bands in that grindcore documentary.
lol and that is saying something!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻