What's the best modern browser??????

Video Game Discussions and general topics.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

What's the best modern browser?

You may select 1 option

View results

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

What's the best modern browser??????

Post by Casual Observer »

Due to confusion in the other thread, we need a poll to determine which browser CO should replace Chrome with. ICJ says "Opera" but THE says no way. Personally, if they give me a free "real" vpn then I could give a shit if China is stealing my data, fucking have at it. I've read some articles about some others but I have no idea if they have the extensions I need or are any better than any other one. So, geeks, let's have it . . . what's the best browser in 2021? Netscape Explorer?

pinback

Re: What's the best modern browser??????

Post by pinback »

Well, someone already voted for "something else" and then didn't specify what it was. They fucked me! They fucked me already!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I am happy with Brave!

New Edge is also fine. Google just has too much of everything so by default I try to use other stuff like Waze rather than Maps, etc.

So I'll go Brave. But I'm going to install this Vivaldi that The Happiness Engine mentioned.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Over the past 24 hours, I've tried Opera, Vivaldi, and Brave. Both Opera and Vivaldi did annoying things within this 24 hour period. Brave has yet to annoy me.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

I voted "something else", but I don't know which browser that is. Haven't found it yet. The others on the list all suck, with Firefox sucking a tiny bit less than the others.

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:32 am Google just has too much of everything so by default I try to use other stuff like Waze rather than Maps, etc
you realize those fucks bought Waze, right? They've already integrated the traffic notification and the multiple voices. Meanwhile g maps still sends me into dead ends and "no turn" situations. Maybe accept updates from users you arrogant assholes?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:36 am Well, someone already voted for "something else" and then didn't specify what it was. They fucked me! They fucked me already!
"Brett, you should know that Benjamin Parrish doesn't like to get fucked by anybody except Mrs. Parrish!"
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

RealNC wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:29 pm I voted "something else", but I don't know which browser that is. Haven't found it yet.
"But I still haven't found, what I'm looking for."
- U2
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Lynx

(heh-heh)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:41 am Lynx
Spyglass!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I am continuing to have no specific complaints about Brave, so that's my choice.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I noticed that Opera would start adding in paid bookmarks to mt speed dial tab. One day I saw an EBay tab amongst my buttons, so I deleted it. The next day there was an Amazon button, so I deleted that. A day later there was some other link that I didnt put there, so I deleted the whole app

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Brave is fine. It's on my phone but I use it very little.

If Vivaldi did something shitty then it's probably changeable, but "wanting to tune your browser" is a terrible life choice. I have been living with my tab bar on the bottom of the browser for about 20 years now (faster context switch between apps and different tabs) and I accept that this makes me a monster unfit for Society.

Casual Observer

Thanks all for the advice. Tried Edge and Vivaldi first and both failed to import my passwords so uninstalled Vivaldi and not sure if MSFT will let me do that to Edge. Brave is the hands down winner as it successfully detected that I have three Chrome profiles and nicely asked me which profile I would like to import. I now realize that neither Edge or Vivaldi said anything about that and so that's why they failed.

Did a little Ctrl-Alt-Del check. With Chrome up and only 3 tabs, my processor was hovering between 50% and 85% and my disk was pegged at 100% like all of the time. With brave up and a bunch of tabs, processor hovers around 6% and disk is like 20%. It's also weird to look at my processes and not see a million background chrome processes. More and more I'm wanting to say Fuck Google. They also won't let you sign up for Workspace with a debit card so I got my damn company email from Runbox. Fuck Google.

Chrome is officially no longer my default browser, Brave is the new me.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

I mean, you could have also clicked the "Export" button in Chrome and then used the "import" button in your trial browsers but I understand that people are just literal fucking babies at this point.

Happy you like Brave! Chrome is garbage.

Casual Observer

The Happiness Engine wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:24 pm I mean, you could have also clicked the "Export" button in Chrome and then used the "import" button in your trial browsers but I understand that people are just literal fucking babies at this point.
Can't shit just work right anymore?

Casual Observer

Update: the problem causing my system to freeze wasn't chrome after all as it's still doing it with Brave so a guy on answers.microsoft said to to this to an almost similar symptom asked about there:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mic ... e3ff7f5379
1. Open command prompt with administrator access
2. Type each command below and wait until scan is completed.

* sfc /scannow
* DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
* DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
* DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Which, at this rate will take all weekend apparently fifteen minutes for 10% just on the first scan.

Brave is fine, it does seem to wait to populate userid/password until I click into the box but I can live with that I guess. My old HP laptop is much happier with Brave, the mains are definitely back on line.

Casual Observer

windows wrote:Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>
well, this could be good news. It's really been way too long since I got under the hood of this thing, I just got used to not having to.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Casual Observer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:31 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:32 am Google just has too much of everything so by default I try to use other stuff like Waze rather than Maps, etc
you realize those fucks bought Waze, right? They've already integrated the traffic notification and the multiple voices. Meanwhile g maps still sends me into dead ends and "no turn" situations. Maybe accept updates from users you arrogant assholes?
I didn't realize that! I guess I was not really against Google the company when it came to Maps - what I was against was that it took like three extremely annoying presses to tell Maps to actually start giving me the goddamn directions.

With Waze, all I had to do was put in the address and off we were. Except!

As of a couple months ago, you now have to hit three goddamn buttons to make Waze start giving you directions. Someone saw how Maps did it, saw how pointlessly stupid it was and said "Me. Me want that. Me want that for Waze."

A computer frustrates me every single day.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

objectinspace

Post by objectinspace »

Y'all should have been complaining to me, I was actually working directly on Chrome for the last two years or so. Then I could have patiently explained to each of you why the things you were asking for could not be done! Ah well. Brave it is, I guess. Thanks for reminding me.