Hugo Mini-Comp....?

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You'll catch up just fine. By the end of the week I'll only have a program shell going, which I can send to you in fact if you want a handy program shell.

But look, if you're going to make a game for this thing we're going to fix your spelling. At at least one point I will demand your source code so I can go in and get things working smoothly. I know it's not your fault, due to the fact that there are only 3.2 people per ten square miles where you live and apparently none of them know how to spell either, but you're entering the BIG TIME now, my friend.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Ice cream Jonsey wrote:You'll catch up just fine. By the end of the week I'll only have a program shell going, which I can send to you in fact if you want a handy program shell.
You know, that might help. Also, I already konw that there's gonna be about two weeks near the end of June where I will be practically unavailable. COnsidering that's ideally when the really intensive error-checking stuff will be going on, this could be... problematic. Well, I guess i'll just have to set aside more time to work on the thing the rest of the comp.
Icecream Jonsey wrote:But look, if you're going to make a game for this thing we're going to fix your spelling. At at least one point I will demand your source code so I can
go in and get things working smoothly.
Yes, let's hold the hand of the stupid punk teenager, everybody. You know, that would be easier to do if you were actually on AIM more. OH SNAP! Nah, seriously, i'll probably be going around asking other people to look at my source code if there's a bug I can't figure out how to fix. Hell, i still can't get what little I've made out of a shell game to compile, ranted i haven't tried to make it work in the past forevver but still. This is going to be crazy because i'm going to be learning the language at the same time as I enter a competition. Just crazy, I tell you. Anyway.
Ice cream Jonsey wrote:I know it's not your fault, due to the fact that there are only 3.2 people per ten square miles where you live and apparently none of them know how to spell either, but you're entering the BIG TIME now, my friend.
Spoken as a person who is living on an island that is about 35 miles across, I find this statement highly offensive.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Honestly, the thign that's handycapping me a lot in trying to figure much of anything out is the way most existing source code is so... pretty. I mean, ascii art looks neat, and all, but when I'm trying to figure out exactly what will work and what won't work to make the barest-bone source code possible to keep the size down and whatnot, it gets really irritating. I'm just picky about that though, so never mind me.
paidforbythegivedrewbetterblowjobsfundandthelibertyconventionforastupidfreeamerica

Lysander

Post by Lysander »

You know, actually letting me see the competition base would help me immensely in this whole "getting started on the game" front. Know what i'm sayin'?

Merk

Post by Merk »

What ever happened with this? I was away from the forum a while, but I don't remember there being an official announcement about it starting -- just some comments about what form it might take and when it might get rolling. Seems like it was becoming a tutorial-based competition?

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

We moved it to a private base where people were supposed to write weekly coding updates, but I dropped the ball in terms of motivating others as well as doing the work myself to the point where we had to say, "Ok, that didn't work out so well. See you next year!". I had just started a new job that had a lot to learn so I'm not too mad at myself, but there's really no reason why I haven't picked it back up since then.

misterman83

hugo minicomp...

Post by misterman83 »

Is there any hope for a 2016 minicomp? I was just thinking about the 2012 minicomp... but that was *long* before I discovered Hugo.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I hadn't planned to do one before that post, but I'd be up for one if we can get like 3-4 people to show interest. I loved the games that were submitted the other year, and it's definitely something I've wanted to do again.

Personally, I like having suggested themes just to help with the creative process of coming up with the initial idea, so maybe people could throw out ideas they think would be fun?

Also, since we're talking about this so early in the year, I'd suggest we make use of that and schedule the deadline for early summer. Having it in December is such a gamble with everybody's time. I was thinking possibly a June 23rd deadline just because St. John's Eve has amused me ever since I played Gabriel Knight those many years ago.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Also, since we're talking about this so early in the year, I'd suggest we make use of that and schedule the deadline for early summer.
So, having announced that you think it would be a good idea, any recommendations / suggestions on a theme, a scope or range of what the games would be about, would do, or would be related to? Or some idea what to target?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Well, the last year I intended to have a Hugo comp (but did not), I was leaning towards one of two things. The first idea was a port-an-old-game comp, somewhat inspired by "SceptreQuest" which ported some old BASIC game and, in the process, added a ton of jokes and became much better.

My other idea involved bringing back the "IF Arcade" format where people make IF out of classic arcade games. Several interesting games came out of the first "IF Arcade," and of course, there's no shortage of games left to cover.

I hadn't planned on throwing out any ideas just because they didn't result in anything the last time and was hoping somebody will say an idea that they're excited about. But hey, if people are excited about any of those ideas, let me know.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:My other idea involved bringing back the "IF Arcade" format where people make IF out of classic arcade games. ...
The real problem with Hugo is that it doesn't support real-time character press capability, what was often referred to as "delimiterless input." Any game that relied on the user pressing a key to commit an action, like moving the paddle in Breakout, is not possible using Hugo.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Ok, two things. The first one is you don't understand what is meant by "IF versions" of arcade games. Maybe you should go take a look at the original games themselves.

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/gam ... arcade.zip

Secondly, as far as the key press thing goes, you are also wrong. It's true that Hugo can't accept key presses during a command prompt, but it can accept it anywhere else.

For example: Hugo Tetris

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

The other day, I was showing someone my new tumblr (http://omgspellcasting.tumblr.com/) which displays spam I get because of a review of "Spellcasting 101" I did one time. I show the comments as pictures in the tumblr just because I think the original e-mail looks funnier, but here's an example for those with screenreaders:
My name is Andrian Meelin ,i want to give a very big thanks to Dr OGALA for helping me to get pregnant and now i have a baby girl and i am heavy with a boy inside of me. i was married for 7 years and i couldn't get pregnant whenever i take in it will flow out, i became very confused and frustrated until a friend in my office introduced me to Dr OGALA who came down to the states to help me untie my womb.he gave me just water from his temple to drink and he also gave my husband something to rub before we made love. i am very grateful to him . if your out there and still finding it difficult to get pregnant or when you get pregnant it doesn't stay contact him i assure you its going to be very alright with you.

(contact info omitted)
Anyhow, the person I showed it to said, "That'd be a great SpeedIF!" which got me thinking, hey, it's not a bad idea for a comp theme, either.

So I propose we make the Hugo Comp this year a spellcasting comp! I figure this has a lot of possibilities. I figure everyone has wanted to write an Enchanter or Spellcasting 101 type game at some point, and even if you don't want to make your protagonist a spellcaster, there are plenty of other stories to be told!

I was going to complement this announcement with a Hugo extension for doing Enchanter or Spellcasting 101 type spells, but I got distracted by working on another thing and considering that I'd still like an early summer deadline, it's best to get the word out as soon as possible.

What do people think?

pinback

Post by pinback »

I thought the next comp was going to use the theme of dilapidated apartments in West Palm Beach, Florida. I was ready to go, man. I was READY this time.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:I thought the next comp was going to use the theme of dilapidated apartments in West Palm Beach, Florida.
How about the opposite, dilapidated palm trees in apartments?