Wheelies

Television & Motorcycles

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Wheelies

Post by Tdarcos »

Again, watching various lane splitting and motorcycle antics on YouTube, I've seen guys - it's probably a macho thing - popping a wheelie on a motorcycle and flyying down the road at insane speeds with their front wheel 4 feet off the ground.

Looks cool as hell and I can tell you that I'd never even think of trying it on a 10-speed, let alone on a motorcycle doing 50- or 60-miles per hour. (I learned how to ride a bicycle at 12 or 13, in one day. I'll tell the story if anyone is interested, I never learned to ride a motorcycle.)

But let's hear your opinion on it. I'm sure it's probably illegal but again, like the 55MPH speed limit on urban freeways I'm sure it gets ignored.

----
Oh, and for the (half-) wits that ask about it, it is not possible to "pop a wheelie" on a wheelchair (a power one, anyway) the chair weighs 250 pounds empty (because the batteries are essentially heavy truck batteries) and the maximum speed is about twice walking speed, maybe 6 miles an hour.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Re: Wheelies

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote:I'd never even think of trying it on a 10-speed
Boys, get your wallets out. It's VIDEO TIME.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Bob Ross' Joy of Painting

Post by Bob Ross' Joy of Painting »

Wheelies are entirely context oriented.

Done on a public roadway, that person is jeopardizing public safety and is a complete asshole.

Done in an empty parking lot, that person is not using other peoples' property for its intended purpose, could possibly hit a pedestrian or vehicle that comes in, and that person is for the most part an asshole.

Done on your own private property, that person is rolling the dice on their own land, and long as they are not breaking any local ordinances, that person is fine in doing so.

Done in a paid arena or on a film set, that person is a daredevil and is a total badass, those people are really fucking cool.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

(I learned how to ride a bicycle at 12 or 13, in one day. I'll tell the story if anyone is interested,
Ok, we all chip in ten bucks for you to produce your 10-speed wheelie video and you can tell your story as a voiceover. I predict greatness!

THE
ORSON WELLES, LOOK OUT
AARDVARK

FlyingCarp

Post by FlyingCarp »

Oh, and for the (half-) wits that ask about it, it is not possible to "pop a wheelie" on a wheelchair (a power one, anyway) the chair weighs 250 pounds empty (because the batteries are essentially heavy truck batteries) and the maximum speed is about twice walking speed, maybe 6 miles an hour.
Looks like Pinback proved you wrong. Surprised he wasn't on here gloating about it.

pinback

Post by pinback »

what the mother fuck
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Please don't forget to use the proper quotation formatting, I had no idea (I had a pretty strong idea) who this quote was from or who the picture was referencing until I went back in the thread to find out. Thank you.

FlyingCarp

Post by FlyingCarp »

Pedantic Billy Mays wrote:Please don't forget to use the proper quotation formatting, I had no idea (I had a pretty strong idea) who this quote was from or who the picture was referencing until I went back in the thread to find out. Thank you.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

FlyingCarp wrote:My apologies for the inconvenience.
No reason to apologize, I think in hindsight that maybe even I took things too far with the post, but I appreciate your consideration.

pinback

Post by pinback »

lol

Even the brand new guy already hates you, Billy. At least you're consistent.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote:lol

I'd argue that this violates Robb's carefully formulated "Square Deal" plan, but I'm fairly certain that he's already cut ties with this place and is just waiting to stop payment on the maintenance fees for this place.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Billy, you're a fucking idiot.
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Congratulations to Pinback and RetroRomper for ruining Robb's "Square Deal" plan!

pinback

Post by pinback »

The deal only exists to try to make this place tolerable while you're here. You are the cause of all of it. I know that brings you great joy, but that's fine. Just, it's important for you to know that all of this drama and all of these strained attempts to return JC to a place we can enjoy, they are all to get around the obstacle you have created, and continue to maintain.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Also, I can't moderate this forum. ICJ, please split this thread at the point whe-- well, you know where.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote:The deal only exists to try to make this place tolerable while you're here. You are the cause of all of it. I know that brings you great joy, but that's fine. Just, it's important for you to know that all of this drama and all of these strained attempts to return JC to a place we can enjoy, they are all to get around the obstacle you have created, and continue to maintain.
Billy Mays wrote:
FlyingCarp wrote:My apologies for the inconvenience.
No reason to apologize, I think in hindsight that maybe even I took things too far with the post, but I appreciate your consideration.

hmmmm...

pinback wrote:lol

and then....

RetroRomper wrote:Billy, you're a fucking idiot.

Seems like the conversation was pretty tolerable until well, you know.

pinback

Post by pinback »

FlyingCarp was giving you a schtook, but you're too dumb to realize it, because, well...

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote:FlyingCarp was giving you a schtook, but you're too dumb to realize it, because, well...

I suppose I am going to be blamed for this attack as well somehow.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Yes, all of these attacks are your fault, because you are a blight on this community.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote:Yes, all of these attacks are your fault, because you are a blight on this community.
Ahhh, so you blame the victim when you are the aggressor, and then cry to Robb for "muh bans" when they defend themselves back. Interesting.